meopp
meopp  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:44
English to German
+ ...
Apr 28, 2005

Hello everybody,

I have a rtf file for translation with Trados. When I open it in MS Word some of the words only appear in unreadable characters. I have the Japanese version of Word 2000 and Japanese Windows XP. I would appreciate any suggestions of how to deal with this problem.

Thank you!

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:44
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Check styles and font settings Apr 28, 2005

is everything I can advice you at the moment.
But really, your problem may have so many causes, that it is impossible to play the doctor without seeing the patient

Regards
Jerzy

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 01:14
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
The junk part could be in a different font or language Apr 28, 2005

The document could be using a mix of fonts. The junk part could be in a font which your system does not have. Or your system does not support the font in which the junk part is typed. Block a portion of the junk text and see in which font it is and then check your fonts folder to see if you have that font. Also check in which language that part of the text is and see whether your system needs any special settings to support that language.

Regards,
Balasubramaniam

meopp
meopp  Identity Verified
Canada
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Don't see anything wrong with styles or font settings Apr 28, 2005

Thanks for your quick reply. I don't see anything wrong with styles or font settings, but to be honest, I don't really know what to look for either. This is what my file looks like:

String id: 7a7b69807b4891b3d34ada19b404f223
Text>>%1\$s does not have any saved pages in the \"%2\$s\" folder.

Simon Mountifield
Simon Mountifield  Identity Verified
French to English
Style settings Apr 28, 2005

Hi Manuel,

I recently had the same problem - on opening an rtf file, parts of the text appeared in a strange font, while others still had vanished (despite assurances from the customer that the file was perfectly readable on his system).

As Jerzy suggested, it could be a multitude of problems, but in my case, it was the style settings. For example, with the "Normal" style, it had somehow changed from standard Times New Roman to Verdana with all sorts of fancy effects. W
... See more
Hi Manuel,

I recently had the same problem - on opening an rtf file, parts of the text appeared in a strange font, while others still had vanished (despite assurances from the customer that the file was perfectly readable on his system).

As Jerzy suggested, it could be a multitude of problems, but in my case, it was the style settings. For example, with the "Normal" style, it had somehow changed from standard Times New Roman to Verdana with all sorts of fancy effects. What I did was tweak with the style settings and then reapply them to the text, which seemed to do the trick (to play it safe, I first copied the contents to a new Word document).

There's probably a much easier and straightforward way of doing it, but it might point you in the right direction or give someone else some inspiration.

Good luck!

Simon

- I've just seen your latest posting - on second thoughts, my idea of style settings probably doesn't apply, because I didn't have any wierd text strings in my file!

[Edited at 2005-04-28 06:48]
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Open it with Apr 28, 2005

Tageditor

Rgds

Toledo

Dan Schioenning Larsen
Dan Schioenning Larsen
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
Variables - not gibberish Apr 28, 2005

I don't think it is unreadable text. To me it looks like variable-strings that you need to copy exactly as they are. I'm guessing you are translating some software-strings, and when the program is running, those gibberish symbols will be replaced with terms/words/filenames etc. that make sence.

I am currently translating software strings for a printer, and they have variables too, that look almost like yours.

Manuel Opp wrote:
This is what my file looks like:

String id: 7a7b69807b4891b3d34ada19b404f223
Text>>%1\$s does not have any saved pages in the \"%2\$s\" folder. <<Text

The unreadable characters only appear between the "Text" headers. Don't know if this information helps to pinpoint the problem.

[Edited at 2005-04-28 09:47]

meopp
meopp  Identity Verified
Canada
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
They are variables! Apr 28, 2005

[quote]Dan Larsen wrote:

I don't think it is unreadable text. To me it looks like variable-strings that you need to copy exactly as they are. I'm guessing you are translating some software-strings, and when the program is running, those gibberish symbols will be replaced with terms/words/filenames etc. that make sence.

Thank you Dan! Your explanation makes perfect sense. I think that is the solution. And thanks everybody else for taking time and helping me out!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word: Problem viewing rtf file

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »