Thread poster: chopra_2002

chopra_2002  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 04:23
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Apr 28, 2005

Find and Replace command of MS Word is very useful as one can easily locate certain words in a document by means of using the same. While I don't have any problem searching for English words, I feel a lot of inconvenience while trying to find Hindi words in the Hindi files as whenever I type a Hindi word in the Find column, it appears in English only. So, I have no other option but to type the Hindi word somewhere in the file and then cut and paste it in the Find column to begin the search.

Is it possible to find Hindi words by typing directly in the Find column?

Direct link Reply with quote

sandra lewis
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:53
English to French
+ ...
Enable language indicator on windows taskbar Apr 28, 2005

[
Is it possible to find Hindi words by typing directly in the Find column?[/quote]

Well I do not know how you have configured your keyboard to type Hindi. But when I type Greek : -

Windowns Start/Settings/Control Panel/Keyboard/Language (add language if Hindi is not already there)

Then tick box Enable Indicator on Taskbar.

Then when you work on Word switch language to Hindi from the icon on the taskbar of your desktop.

You can then type in queries in another language in Word or search engines online.

Good luck!

Sandra

Gustavo Villar
Local time: 18:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
Use Alt + "char codes for Hindi" Apr 28, 2005

Yes, you can type directly in the find field using
ALT + "code", where code is a number representing one character of a language, in this case HINDI. I do not know what they are for Hindi, but it works for Spanish.

Hope this Helps!

Gustavo

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
You will have install keyboard support for Hindi Apr 29, 2005

It is possible to type in Hindi in the find box of MS Word.

For this you will have to install the Hindi input keyboard.

In WindowsXP do the following:

-Go to control panel, then Regional and Language Options
- Select Languages
- Click on the box before "Install files for complex languages including Thai"

- After the necessary files have been installed (you might have to insert the WindowsXP installation CD in you CD drive for this, so keep it ready), click on "Details" in the same dialogue box.

- Click on the button "Add" in the "installed services" box and select Hindi from the list shown.

This will install the Hindi keyboard on your system. In the task bar you should now be able to see the keyboard options. You can switch between English and Hindi keyboards by using the toggle combination "Alt + shift".

When the Hindi keyboard is on, this is highlighted on the task bar by the symbol HI. You can now type in Hindi in the Find and replace boxes, as well as in any other box, such as help box, in Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, etc.

This works only with unicode Hindi fonts like Mangal, Arial Unicode MS, etc. If your matter is in any legacy encoding font like Shusha, KritiDev, DV-TTSurekh, etc., then you have no option but to type the text in word and then paste in the box. You could of course first convert the whole text into a unicode font, work on it, and after you have finished, reconvert the work back into the legacy font before submission. There are such converters available on the internet. I suggest that you join the following discussion group where issues like this one are frequently discussed and useful suggestions are given by gurus of the forum:

http://www.bhashaindia.com/solutionsdirectory/index.aspx

Regards,

Balasubramaniam

chopra_2002  Identity Verified
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your comprehensive reply Apr 29, 2005

I am thankful to you for your detailed reply. I have already got unicode fonts installed in my system and I am facing the above problem for a ttf font viz. Kruti Dev which I frequently use.

It is amazing to learn that the text can be converted into unicode and vice versa. I'd appreciate if you could mention a specific link explaining the same.

Balasubramaniam wrote:

This works only with unicode Hindi fonts like Mangal, Arial Unicode MS, etc. If your matter is in any legacy encoding font like Shusha, KritiDev, DV-TTSurekh, etc., then you have no option but to type the text in word and then paste in the box. You could of course first convert the whole text into a unicode font, work on it, and after you have finished, reconvert the work back into the legacy font before submission. There are such converters available on the internet. I suggest that you join the following discussion group where issues like this one are frequently discussed and useful suggestions are given by gurus of the forum:

http://www.bhashaindia.com/solutionsdirectory/index.aspx

Regards,

Balasubramaniam

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Check out the link I had given in my earlier posting Apr 30, 2005

Hi langclinic,

Did you get time to check out the BhashaIndia discussion forum?

As I mentioned earlier, these kinds of issues are discussed quite frequently there.

In fact one of the gurus of the forum, Bob Eaton, who was recently awarded the Most Valued Professional by Microsoft, is working on such converters. I remember a mention in the forum of him developed a KrutiDev converter too.

Bascially it works like this. There is a Macro program that is available for free download at the Microsoft website (you will get the exact link from the above forum). It is called EncConverter. It has built in conversion maps for many fonts. The Macro can be installed in your Word application. Once it is installed, it shows up in your Tools Menu. You can use this macro to convert from unicode to legacy font and vice versa.

There are also some other programs available at the Microsoft site, which allow you to prepare font conversion maps. These maps can then be fed into the EncConverter for converting from the font to unicode and vice versa. However, it is a tedious job, for you have to make matches between each character of your font and the corresponding character in unicode. But it can be done.

So, look up the above discussion forum. You will not regret it.

Regards,

Balasubramaniam

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help needed in connection with Find & Replace command of MS Word

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs