xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 4, 2005

Windows XP Word 2000

Word:

When I open Word, I often have problems such as the following that are not serious but irritating:

- When I click on something, no response (I either have to close and start again, or open a new document, do it there, then return to my text)

- When I want a word count, the tab doesn't open directly, it retreats to the toolbar from where it winks and blinks at me to click it, so I do, then have to click back on the text to return it to open the window... just a couple of clicks too many and unnecessary for my aching fingers!

The computer is new, I used to have this problem on my old computer, but only occasionally, and I put it down to age...

Printing:

I instruct my new printer to print, and it does so, but with strange spacing in the wrong places that makes the text practically illegible. The only way I get a correctly printed text is to fiddle with the fonts...

Any ideas of how to resolve these niggling little problems? TIA:-)

[Edited at 2005-05-04 20:49]

Direct link Reply with quote

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
A few tips May 4, 2005

I'll be just guessing, but maybe it helps...

When I click on something, no response

No idea. I recommend installing the latest MS Office Service Pack.

When I want a word count, the tab doesn't open directly, it retreats to the toolbar from where it winks and blinks at me to click it, so I do, then have to click back on the text to return it to open the window...

I'm not sure if I understand the symptoms. Are you really using Word 2000? Because there is no separate toolbar for wordcount, it was introduced in later versions. The wordcount should be displayed in a small window by going to Tools - Word Count.

I instruct my new printer to print, and it does so, but with strange spacing in the wrong places that makes the text practically illegible. The only way I get a correctly printed text is to fiddle with the fonts...

Are you using an unusual font? What do you mean by fiddling with the fonts?

Try to download the latest driver. Or go to Control Panel - Printers and Faxes and change the settings for your printer. It should be one of the advanced options. Unfortunately, I can't be specific, because I don't know your printer (even if you told us what type you use).

Christopher RH
French to English
Printing problems May 9, 2005

I've used (and had) a couple of laser printers that had problems dealing with the most standard of fonts: Times

On one, it refused to print "Times New Roman" correctly, but had no problem with "Times"
On my current printer, it is the opposite: anything printed in "Times" goes off the page but all the other fonts are fine.

One solution which might work is to deactivate the "use printer fonts" option (usually among the "advanced" options which come up when you print a document).
The disadvantage with this is that printing may well be slower and/or look less polished.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

misc (irritating) problems with Word and with printing

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs