https://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/32167-font_for_hindi_language_microsoft_word_2003.html?

Font for Hindi language (Microsoft Word 2003)
Thread poster: Andrea Cingolani
Andrea Cingolani
Andrea Cingolani
Italy
Local time: 05:07
Member (2004)
English to Italian
+ ...
May 9, 2005

I need a font to read a word document written in Hindi

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:07
German to English
+ ...
Arial Unicode MS May 9, 2005

There should be a number of fonts on Microsoft which should display Devanagari:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011363931033.aspx

Othe
... See more
There should be a number of fonts on Microsoft which should display Devanagari:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011363931033.aspx

Otherwise check out:

http://jeff.cs.mcgill.ca/~luc/indic.html
http://www.travelphrases.info/gallery/Fonts_Devanagari.html
http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/fonts.html#devanagari

[Edited at 2005-05-10 17:35]
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
There are multiple fonts May 9, 2005

Hi! ask your document supplier to ship you the font used aswell, only then it will be possible for you to read the doc properly, because there are various fonts for Hindi, and dialects and sub-dialects. That makes the issue complicated.
Rgds, Brandis

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 08:37
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Brandis is right May 10, 2005

It would be best to ask your client to send you the font.

However, if the font used is a unicode font, then you can try any complete unicode font like Arial Unicode MS. The default Hindi fonts in the WindowsXP is Mangal and also Kokila in the newer version of the operating system.

If you adjust the Regional Settings of your Windows XP to include Hindi, the Mangal font will be automatically installed. It will also give you keyboard support in Hindi.

However
... See more
It would be best to ask your client to send you the font.

However, if the font used is a unicode font, then you can try any complete unicode font like Arial Unicode MS. The default Hindi fonts in the WindowsXP is Mangal and also Kokila in the newer version of the operating system.

If you adjust the Regional Settings of your Windows XP to include Hindi, the Mangal font will be automatically installed. It will also give you keyboard support in Hindi.

However, if it is a non-unicode font, then this won't work, for each no-unicode font has its own code-page.

If it is one of the commoner fonts like Shusha or DV-ttsurekh, converters are available to convert text in these fonts to Unicode and vice versa. You can check out this website for more info:

http://www.bhashaindia.com/ForumV2/

But why get into all this hassle, it would be simpler to get the font sent to you by your client.
Collapse

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Which font has been used? May 10, 2005

There are numerous fonts for Hindi and you should install the same font in your system which has been used to type the text, otherwise it might not appear properly. Therefore, you should know the name of exact font which has been used in your document. Simply click on the text and the name of font will appear in font column. You may then download the same from different websites on internet, if available. Or you may communicate the name of font to me and I'd send you the same in case I have ... See more
There are numerous fonts for Hindi and you should install the same font in your system which has been used to type the text, otherwise it might not appear properly. Therefore, you should know the name of exact font which has been used in your document. Simply click on the text and the name of font will appear in font column. You may then download the same from different websites on internet, if available. Or you may communicate the name of font to me and I'd send you the same in case I have got the same.

Andrea Cingolani wrote:

Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Moving the topic May 10, 2005

to the Office Applications forum

keshab
keshab  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Bengali
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
RTF or Unicode ? May 10, 2005

Hi!

Brandis wrote:
ask your document supplier to ship you the font used aswell, only then it will be possible for you to read the doc properly, because there are various fonts for Hindi, and dialects and sub-dialects. That makes the issue complicated.

It is correct that there are various fonts in Hindi but dialects and sub dialects cannot change the fonts
First you should know from the sender whether the document is written in Unicode or in RTF (Rich Text F
... See more
Hi!

Brandis wrote:
ask your document supplier to ship you the font used aswell, only then it will be possible for you to read the doc properly, because there are various fonts for Hindi, and dialects and sub-dialects. That makes the issue complicated.

It is correct that there are various fonts in Hindi but dialects and sub dialects cannot change the fonts
First you should know from the sender whether the document is written in Unicode or in RTF (Rich Text Format). If it is written in Unicode then it is quite easy to download various fonts from internet.Mangal and Raghu are the most common fonts in Unicode. But if the font is of RTF,then the matter will be little complicated and the sender can help you by supplying the exact font. Because numeraous hindi RTF fonts exists.
If you can get the name of font,please inform us. Perhaps we can help someway.
Collapse

PRAKASH SHARMA
PRAKASH SHARMA  Identity Verified
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
As I use Kruti Dev 010.......... May 11, 2005

-From the words of a Prozian.
Dear Asker,
I normally use Kruti Dev 010 font and for the convenience of the outsourcer, I always send the font alongwith job, without even being demanded! It helps him/her normally!

Btw, there are number o
... See more
-From the words of a Prozian.
Dear Asker,
I normally use Kruti Dev 010 font and for the convenience of the outsourcer, I always send the font alongwith job, without even being demanded! It helps him/her normally!

Btw, there are number of fonts in devanagri script, which can be used for Hindi language on computers!

PRAKASH SHARMA
FREELANCE TRANSLATOR OF NEPALI, HINDI, SANSKRIT AND ENGLISH TO FOUR OF THE SAME
+977 56 530738
Collapse

Peide Zha
Peide Zha
Canada
Local time: 20:07
English to Chinese
+ ...
Where are the Devanagari fonts? Feb 1, 2007

I have MS Office 2003 and it is said the fonts Aparajita, Kokil and Utsaah come with Office 2003. But none of them has been installed in the Windows Fonts folder. I tried "choose advanced..." during setup but to no avail. I don't see them on the CD either. Where are they? How can I install them? Where can I download them if available?

Laxman singh
Laxman singh
hindi font Apr 5, 2011

Andrea Cingolani wrote:

wrbros
wrbros
Local time: 09:07
Update MS Word only in MS Office 2003 Dec 15, 2011

You can always pick an updates for your Microsoft Office. In the Update software menu on Microsoft Office 2007 Installation Disk. You can customize some options in advance tab and select the software that you want to install and disregard. You can select the Microsoft Word 2007 and disregard the others. You will only need to update your Microsoft office 2003 to Microsoft 2007 as for uninstalling and installing them will only do the same result.
As an other option you can also install the
... See more
You can always pick an updates for your Microsoft Office. In the Update software menu on Microsoft Office 2007 Installation Disk. You can customize some options in advance tab and select the software that you want to install and disregard. You can select the Microsoft Word 2007 and disregard the others. You will only need to update your Microsoft office 2003 to Microsoft 2007 as for uninstalling and installing them will only do the same result.
As an other option you can also install the Microsoft Office 2003 and Microsoft office 2007 in the same Operating System.

For additional help you can see here Update MS Word only in MS Office 2003| Techyv.com
Collapse

gravi8729
gravi8729
India
How to download Hindi Fonts and type in Microsoft Word Nov 22, 2012

For that you have to follow some simeple steps:
1. Just Open C:/Windows/fonts and Verify that Mangal.ttf is available or not
2. If available then direct jump to seventh step
3. If not available just download this mangal.ttf file from microsoft site or others sites
Microsoft site: http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/family.aspx?FID=243
Other
... See more
For that you have to follow some simeple steps:
1. Just Open C:/Windows/fonts and Verify that Mangal.ttf is available or not
2. If available then direct jump to seventh step
3. If not available just download this mangal.ttf file from microsoft site or others sites
Microsoft site: http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/family.aspx?FID=243
Other Website: fonts.zaraf.ro/font2845/Mangal.htm
4. If your download ends, just go to your download folder and extract that file i.e mangal.ttf and copy it

And enjoy writing and reading hindi in your msword

http://gsesoftsolutions.com/how-to-download-hindi-fonts-and-type-in-microsoft-word/
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Font for Hindi language (Microsoft Word 2003)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »