Spellchecker for Office Suite XP
Thread poster: mamacat
mamacat
mamacat
Local time: 02:08
Italian to English
May 16, 2005

MS Word 2000 had a spellchecker for Italian, among others. Now that I am using Office XP it seems to come only with English French and Spanish spellcheckers. Am I missing something?

Lindsay Sabadosa (X)
Lindsay Sabadosa (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
Sounds right... May 16, 2005

mamacat wrote:

MS Word 2000 had a spellchecker for Italian, among others. Now that I am using Office XP it seems to come only with English French and Spanish spellcheckers. Am I missing something?

I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure that those are the standard languages with which it comes. I bought a new computer recently and that is what I go with it. I had to buy special software from Microsoft (a proofing tool) to get other languages. Good luck!

[Edited at 2005-05-16 08:37]

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:08
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
We have had this allready May 16, 2005

Office XP comes with the language it is localised in plus English plus (maybe) one additional language.
I would say with Office 2000 it was the same.
So if you buy ie spanish Office, you get thet spellchecker for Spanish and English. When you need additional languages, you should purchase the Microsoft Proofing Tool Kit (be sure to buy the proper version for your Office package, as they are NOT cross-compatible).

Regards
Jerzy

PS
As this is about
... See more
Office XP comes with the language it is localised in plus English plus (maybe) one additional language.
I would say with Office 2000 it was the same.
So if you buy ie spanish Office, you get thet spellchecker for Spanish and English. When you need additional languages, you should purchase the Microsoft Proofing Tool Kit (be sure to buy the proper version for your Office package, as they are NOT cross-compatible).

Regards
Jerzy

PS
As this is about MS Office, I moved the topic to the Office Application Forum.

[Edited at 2005-05-16 10:17]
Collapse

Andrea Re
Andrea Re  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:08
English to Italian
+ ...
Spell checker May 16, 2005

I am glad that someone asked the question, because I was feeling pretty stupid. I got a new computer myself with XP and no Italian spell checker. I looked around, but non joy. If it has got to be bought can somebody advise which spell checker is best? I tried one quite recently which was real crap (to put it EXTRA mildly).

Cheers,

Andrea

Lindsay Sabadosa (X)
Lindsay Sabadosa (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
One option... May 16, 2005

Andrea Re wrote:
If it has got to be bought can somebody advise which spell checker is best? I tried one quite recently which was real crap (to put it EXTRA mildly).

I went with Microsoft Proofing Tools for Office 2003 which works just fine for me. A while back, I had also bought a less expensive spellcheck off the internet which worked but was, as you say, "real crap." I don't know if blantant advertising is okay or not but the following link is a site in the US where you can buy translation tools. Most are not worth it but it does sell the Microsoft Proofing Tool as well as Microsoft Office in various languages if that's what you're after. I'm sure that there are similiar sites in other countries (these guys are based in Oregan or Washington, I think) but the site does explain what the Proofing Tool offers. Good luck! LN

http://www.translation.net/microsoft_proof_2003.html

[Edited at 2005-05-16 15:10]

mustafaer
mustafaer  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 09:08
Member (2005)
you can copy spellchecker: May 17, 2005

mamacat wrote:

you can copy spellchecker:
from Program files-Common Files-microsoft shared-proof in MS word 2000
and paste the files into same location, this time in Office XP.
It worked for me it may work for you as well.

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Copying and pasting of spellchecker works only within the same versions May 17, 2005

Spell checker and other language files are not compatible between different Office packages.
And please think about copyrights - simple copying them is IMO a violation of this.

Regards
Jerzy

mustafaer
Türkiye
Member (2005)
I have copied from one of the sites of microdoft official page May 17, 2005

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Spell checker and other language files are not compatible between different Office packages.
And please think about copyrights - simple copying them is IMO a violation of this.

Regards
Jerzy

I searched for language spellcheckers at the official microsoft site and found what I was looking for downloeded and pasted it into the location. but you have to open the files and then paste them , otherwise they do not function properly.

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Hi mustafaer May 17, 2005

Are you sure you got them officialy from Microsoft?
And about what language are we speaking here?
I've never seen spellcheckers for download on MS homepage

Regards
Jerzy

mustafaer
Türkiye
Member (2005)
some 5-10 years ago May 17, 2005

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Are you sure you got them officialy from Microsoft?
And about what language are we speaking here?
I've never seen spellcheckers for download on MS homepage

Regards
Jerzy

some 5-10 years ago when I first acquired my PC ý had only english to be content with but I needed other languages like german-turkish-french etc. I opened the files for spellchecking in english and noted down the exact file names and using the same file names I searched in the official site of microsoft for versions in other languages by changing the code names from en to tr or ger or fr etc. and I arrived at them at the official microsoft site. I do not remember now where exactly. I do not even know if they still exist but anyway, I have then copied them into their location and they worked and since then everytime I purchase an office program and one of those languages are missing I simply copy them to the same location.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spellchecker for Office Suite XP

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »