Thread poster: French2English
French2English
French2English
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:16
French to English
+ ...
May 19, 2005

Does anyone know how to stop the Spellchecker language from defaulting on whatever language the document was originally created in? For example, if you are working directly on an document originally created in French (having saved a copy obviously!)...if you then try to change the Spellchecker language to English, it still defaults on French - changes itself back. Is there a way around this - do I need to download something from somewhere? If anyone knows the answer, please tell me as I have ... See more
Does anyone know how to stop the Spellchecker language from defaulting on whatever language the document was originally created in? For example, if you are working directly on an document originally created in French (having saved a copy obviously!)...if you then try to change the Spellchecker language to English, it still defaults on French - changes itself back. Is there a way around this - do I need to download something from somewhere? If anyone knows the answer, please tell me as I have been trying to solve this one for ages, but never seem to have enough time to investigate it fully. Thanks.Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 20:16
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Moving the topic May 19, 2005

to the Office Applications forum

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Select the whole document May 19, 2005

with Edit> Select all (Word 2000) and choose the language using the menus or double-clicking the language name in the doc status bar (bottom). Note that this won't change the language in text boxes.
Since this is a long sequence involving many clicks, I created a simple macro that selects all the text in the doc and changes the language to my target language, with a nice custom button on my Word toolbar.
voilà,
Philippe

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
French to English
+ ...
Autodetect May 20, 2005

You need to uncheck the box that says "detect language automatically".

French2English
French2English
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:16
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Changing Default Spellchecker Language May 20, 2005

Philippe, Timothy - Many thanks for answering this. Philippe, I tried your suggestion and it seemed to work - as good a way as any of doing this if one is not too clever with macros (like me). And Timothy - your suggestion worked too, but only if you use the 'Default' button - which I guess makes sense. Thanks, this has been very useful.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Changing Default Spellchecker Language

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »