Thread poster: Csaba Ban

Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 08:20
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
May 27, 2005

I have a lengthy Word document (XP) with a corrupted field code that I am not able to remove.
The document is about a 100 pages, with items arranged in a single very long table (like items in a lexicon or a dictionary). In addition to text, some of the entries also include embedded images.

One of these embedded images seems to be corrupt, as when I click into to anywhere the text after this corrupted field code, about half of the document is displayed as grey, as if that all belonged to the same field.

The corrupted field code starts with "INCLUDEIMAGE" ...URL ... then "MERGEFORMATIN". The opening of the code is a large curled bracket, the closing of the code is a small curled bracket.

Where the grey area ends, there is an URL hyperlink embedded in the document. When I toggle field codes, there appears to be a closing curled bracket (small), without an opening one.

When I click anywhere on the grey area and choose "Edit Field", I can see the field code of the corrupted embedded image at the beginning of the grey area.

I tried deleting the corrupted image: I can delete the actual image, but the corrupted field code remains there. If I delete this, the entire grey area (some 50 pages) is also deleted.

Any idea how to remedy this problem?

This is not a translation file, but my own "pet project", so this is why I marked it as "off topic".

Thank you for any ideas. If someone feels proficient enough in handling field codes, I might as well send the file for revision. The zipped file is 560 kB.

regards from Budapest,
Csaba

Direct link Reply with quote

Robert Zawadzki  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Send it to me. May 28, 2005

I think I had such situation once, althought I do not remember how I solved it.

Write which picture it is in your e-mail.

With regards
Robert

Prisma
English to Swedish
+ ...
Resave corrupted Word doc. May 28, 2005

One standard trick for cleaning corrupted Office documents is resaving in alternative formats. Try File > Save As, and choose an older version of Word's DOC format (that still has support for all the features in use in the document). Then open that and resave in the native format for your version of Office. You're making new copies with each Save As, so there's little risk to the original.

You could also try deleting and re-creating that row of the table?

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Copy the text from the field May 28, 2005

which appears grey, when field is selected, to a new Word document.
To do so, select those text, rememberig not to select the first and the last character of the text. Then you can delete the text from your main document, place the missing characters and paste the removed text back.
This should help.
Possibly the field in question does contain this text - I have had something like that once. Many pages of security advices where inserted as a field. To be able to translate them I had to copy all but the last character to a new document - so I was able to work with Trados on them.

Regards
Jerzy

Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so far, but no solution yet May 28, 2005

I tried everything I can, including your suggestions. I saved it as Word 6, but the problem persists. When I cut the grey text and paste it to a new document, the text is garbled (the table format is lost and wherever there used to be cell breaks (or how do you call them?), now there are large dots and Word freezes.
This is a large document. If and when I manage to solve this problem, I will delete all embedded objects to keep the document clean...

Csaba

Robert Zawadzki  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
I sent you a corrected (I think) document May 28, 2005

Did you get it?

Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved May 29, 2005

Thank you again for your suggestions. Robert helped me a lot and now the problem seems to be resolved.
Dziekuje bardzo!

Csaba

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to remove corrupted field code in Word

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs