Changing the decimal point in amounts in Excel
Thread poster: jmadsen

jmadsen  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:46
May 31, 2005

I use MS Excel to create invoices. My (Danish) version of the program uses comma as decimal point and full stop as thousands separator, which is consistent with Danish spelling rules.
How can I reverse this (viz. use full stop as decimal point and comma as thousands separator) to show amounts according to English spelling rules?
Do I really need an English version of Excel?

Please, no suggestions for using other programs or other comments not directly answering my question.

TIA Jørgen

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Hi Jorgen May 31, 2005

As far as I remember, Excel acquires the options set in Windows ( Regional Settings). Just go to the control panel > Regional and Language Settings, and change the settings as needed.

HTH,
Natalia

[Edited at 2005-05-31 15:25]

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Which version? May 31, 2005

Hi Jorgen,
Which Excel version are you using? Excel XP permits to change the numerical signs independently of the operating system (Tools - Options - International); I would expect Excel 2003 to do the same.

Best, Ralf

jmadsen  Identity Verified
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks... May 31, 2005

Hello Natalia

... I'm almost embarrassed over how easy that was.
Thanks again

Natalie wrote:

As far as I remember, Excel acquires the options set in Windows ( Regional Settings). Just go to the control panel > Regional and Language Settings, and change the settings as needed.

HTH,
Natalia

Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:46
Japanese to English
+ ...
Format>Cells May 31, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Jorgen,
Which Excel version are you using? Excel XP permits to change the numerical signs independently of the operating system (Tools - Options - International); I would expect Excel 2003 to do the same.

Best, Ralf

There's a Custom option at the end of the list that includes Currency. It's been there for as long as I remember.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Changing the decimal point in amounts in Excel

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs