Word recognizes comma as end of sentence
Thread poster: Kirsty Mason
Kirsty Mason  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:28
German to English
Jun 16, 2005

Hi all,

I'm using MS Office 2003 on Windows XP and have the following problem with Autocorrect:

I have selected the option to automatically capitalize the first letter of new sentences. This works fine after full stops (periods), but Word also capitalizes the first letter of every word following a comma.
Other than simply deactivating the option, how can I tell Word that a comma is NOT a new sentence marker?

Thanks for any suggestions
Kirsty

Direct link Reply with quote

PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:28
English to Polish
+ ...
Only at beginning of new paragraph Jun 16, 2005

I have the same software, but Word capitalizes a word after a comma only when I start a new paragraph.
When I write words separated by commas on one line, it does not put in capitals...
There is no other way to get around this, AFAIK.

To digress slightly - is there any reason why you want this option enabled? I find most of Office's helpful options such as this one irritating, to put it mildly...

Pawel Skalinski

sorchio
Germany
Local time: 03:28
English to German
Same problem as Kirsty Jun 16, 2005

I use Word 2002 (Microsoft Works) and lately I noticed that sometimes (I couldn't make out a pattern at all. It seems to happen randomly) a word would be capitalized after a comma.

I don't remember this problem from past years (I bought this laptop with Microsoft Works etc. in 2004) but it is very annoying. I don't remember to have made any changes to Word at all.

Fingers crossed anybody has an idea to a solution.

Kirsty Mason  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:28
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Not essential, but nice to have the choice Jun 16, 2005

PAS wrote:

To digress slightly - is there any reason why you want this option enabled? I find most of Office's helpful options such as this one irritating, to put it mildly...

While I also choose not to use many AutoCorrect functions, this is one I would find helpful - as my "style" of typing leads me to make this particular error quite frequently in large bodies of text.

Or mayb I shud just learn to tipe betta..

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word recognizes comma as end of sentence

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs