https://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/33679-how_to_search_for_double_spaces_in_word_2002.html

How to search for double spaces in Word (2002)?
Thread poster: sorchio
sorchio
sorchio
Germany
Local time: 19:22
English to German
Jun 22, 2005

In another thread somebody mentioned how she does a 'search & replace' for double spaces after each translation and I figured that's a great idea.

However, after several attempts I still couldn't find this function. I only found the option to search for 'empty space' (code: ^w) but nothing about double spaces.

If anybody has an idea I'd highly appreciate that.

Thanks,
Rebecca

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use the search&replace utility in Word Jun 22, 2005

Simply open this and in the field "Search for" type TWO SPACES, using the space bar on your keyboard.
In the field "Replace with" type only a SINGLE SPACE, using the space bar on your keyboard.
Then say "Replace all". Repeat it, until Word says "No occurencies found".

You can use this feature in similar way for tabulators, paragraph marks, line breaks and so on. Please see Word help for further references. The help in Word is very good.

Regards
Jerzy

sorchio
sorchio
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jun 22, 2005

Tried and worked Guess I didn't see the wood for the trees

Thank you very much, Jerzy.

Channa Montijn
Channa Montijn  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Be carefull Jun 22, 2005

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Simply open this and in the field "Search for" type TWO SPACES, using the space bar on your keyboard.
In the field "Replace with" type only a SINGLE SPACE, using the space bar on your keyboard.
Then say "Replace all". Repeat it, until Word says "No occurencies found".

You can use this feature in similar way for tabulators, paragraph marks, line breaks and so on. Please see Word help for further references. The help in Word is very good.

Regards
Jerzy

I agree with Jerzy, however I would check every double spacing found in texts... when using Trados and checking a cleaned file, in some layouts they use double spacing (or even more), so I would not use the replacement function. Just let Word look for double spacing and if you agree change it by hand.

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Using double spaces for layout Jun 22, 2005

is going with axles against tanks, if you allow me this kind of speaking.
Of course you are right, but then - if multiple spaces are used for lauout - the segmentation will become crap, as space is a no-stop character. Therfore, if such multiple "formatting" spaces occur, you will need to reformat the document prior to start to translate - and this with any CAT tool.

Glad beeing able to help to find the forrest again...
See more
is going with axles against tanks, if you allow me this kind of speaking.
Of course you are right, but then - if multiple spaces are used for lauout - the segmentation will become crap, as space is a no-stop character. Therfore, if such multiple "formatting" spaces occur, you will need to reformat the document prior to start to translate - and this with any CAT tool.

Glad beeing able to help to find the forrest again

Cheers
Jerzy
Collapse

sorchio
sorchio
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
I'm confused now Jun 22, 2005

Channa Montijn wrote:

I agree with Jerzy, however I would check every double spacing found in texts... when using Trados and checking a cleaned file, in some layouts they use double spacing (or even more), so I would not use the replacement function. Just let Word look for double spacing and if you agree change it by hand.

Apologies, but your answer and Jerzy's subsequent reply got me confused.

For clarification, do you refer to html documents (where you need different a code to despribe the space)? Also does this only apply to Trados (because I don't use it) or also to WordFast?

Thanks,
Rebecca

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Sorry, I didn't want to upset you Jun 22, 2005

What he (and I) were refering to, is the case, when someone is using spaces to align text.
For example, to get text left and number right in table of contents, you can put so many spaces between text and number, that they are somehow aligned. But this is not the way it should be done.

Regards
Jerzy

sorchio
sorchio
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
You didn't upset me! Jun 22, 2005

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

What he (and I) were refering to, is the case, when someone is using spaces to align text.
For example, to get text left and number right in table of contents, you can put so many spaces between text and number, that they are somehow aligned. But this is not the way it should be done.

Regards
Jerzy

You didn't upset me, Jerzy. Sorry, if I made that impression Never mind, I got you now.

Thanks again!

Rebecca

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Ooops, this was the wrong wording Jun 22, 2005

I should have checked it in the dictionary.
It should have been "confuse", not upset

Blame it on my English, I used to be better many years ago
Cheers
Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to search for double spaces in Word (2002)?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »