Thread poster: Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 20:23
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Jul 17, 2005

(1) How can I set (using a macro) the language, say US English, in an entire PowerPoint presentation (including textboxes)?

(2) What method is used in PowerPoint to store a macro which applies to all presentations (not just the current one)?

Antonin

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:23
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Some info to check out Jul 17, 2005

antonin_1955 wrote:

(1) How can I set (using a macro) the language, say US English, in an entire PowerPoint presentation (including textboxes)?

I think you will need to write your own VBA code to do that.

(2) What method is used in PowerPoint to store a macro which applies to all presentations (not just the current one)?

It seems that you will need to create an Add-On that runs the macro, and have the add-on loaded when you start Powerpoint.

I have never done this myself, but here are a few good articles that may help you:
How do I use VBA code in PowerPoint?
http://www.rdpslides.com/pptfaq/FAQ00033.htm

Create an ADD-IN with TOOLBARS that run macros
http://www.rdpslides.com/pptfaq/FAQ00031.htm

The PowerPoint Add-in FAQ
http://skp.mvps.org/ppafaq.htm

PPT: How to Create a PowerPoint 97 Add-In
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q163461/

Katalin

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jul 17, 2005

It seems quite a lot of work for something so seemingly straightforward; however, it looks like there is no way around it.

Thank you for the reference, which will make it a bit easier, I believe.

Antonin

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
VBA code for PPT Jul 18, 2005

If anyone is interested, this macro sets language to UK English in all text frames in the current presentation:

Sub LangInFrames()

scount = ActivePresentation.Slides.Count
For j = 1 To scount
fcount = ActivePresentation.Slides(j).Shapes.Count
For k = 1 To fcount
If ActivePresentation.Slides(j).Shapes(k).HasTextFrame Then
ActivePresentation.Slides(j).Shapes(k).TextFrame.TextRange _
.LanguageID = msoLanguageIDEnglishUK
End If<
... See more
If anyone is interested, this macro sets language to UK English in all text frames in the current presentation:

Sub LangInFrames()

For j = 1 To scount
For k = 1 To fcount
End If
Next k
Next j
End Sub
Collapse

Michael McCain (X)
Michael McCain (X)  Identity Verified
France
Arabic to English
+ ...
Same macro, but for notes pages? Oct 16, 2006

I regularly use the VBA code below and it's a real time-saver. Would any of you know how to tweak it so that it also changes the languages of the 'notes' page below each slide?

MIchael

VBA code for PPT

Sub LangInFrames()

For j = 1 To scount
fcount = ActivePresentati
... See more
I regularly use the VBA code below and it's a real time-saver. Would any of you know how to tweak it so that it also changes the languages of the 'notes' page below each slide?

MIchael

VBA code for PPT

Sub LangInFrames()

For j = 1 To scount
For k = 1 To fcount
End If
Next k
Next j
End Sub
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
don't think so Oct 16, 2006

As far as I am aware, there is no "SpeakerNotes" collection in VBA for PPT.

As a workaround, you can go to menu "File-Send to", choose "MS Word, "Notes next to" - now you have them all in one column of a Word file and can change their language easily; but at this moment I don't know of any other way than copying them back to the ppt one by one.

I feel that this way is still easier than changing the language for each of them in the original ppt, but you may have a difff
... See more

As a workaround, you can go to menu "File-Send to", choose "MS Word, "Notes next to" - now you have them all in one column of a Word file and can change their language easily; but at this moment I don't know of any other way than copying them back to the ppt one by one.

I feel that this way is still easier than changing the language for each of them in the original ppt, but you may have a diffferent point of view.

HTH
Antonin

PS: when you copy my code as-is, perps saying it is not yours might be viewed as a nice touch - not that I am overly sensitive about it.
Collapse

Michael McCain (X)
Michael McCain (X)  Identity Verified
France
Arabic to English
+ ...
Of course! Oct 18, 2006

I took it for granted that the code was public and that you'd found it somewhere else, such as in an MS developor's kit or another forum. Now that I know YOU'RE the one who has shaved hours off my post-translation processing I'll gladly give credit where it's due.

Although I would trade half my hard-back dictionaries for a Macro that changes the Notes Pages language, I must say by now I've learned to do it manually very quickly.

Michael

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

I feel that this way is still easier than changing the language for each of them in the original ppt, but you may have a diffferent point of view.

HTH
Antonin

PS: when you copy my code as-is, perps saying it is not yours might be viewed as a nice touch - not that I am overly sensitive about it.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Link to VBA code forums Oct 19, 2006

Yoy can try the following link:

http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/

I usually go there if I have some problems with VBA code I cannot solve myself.

Antonin

Thanks for the code help Mar 5, 2009

Hi Antoní­n Otáhal,

Thanks for posting the code with regards to the language change for all text within a powerpoint. I am pretty versed in the Office suite, but this was the one thing I wasn't ever able to do, and rightly so as it takes VBS code to do so! It really should not be necessary for end users to write code in order to achieve this, but nevertheless you have helped me greatly.

Thanks again,

Jon

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You are welcome Mar 6, 2009

Hi Jon,

You may have a point here, but when you need to change the language in a long presentation, trying to persuade Microsoft they should do something about it does not seem to be a very promising route, or does it?

Antonin

P.S. It is not so difficult (I mean VBA) and can make your life much easier in many situations. I am far from being a professional programmer.

mariale125
mariale125
Local time: 13:23
English to Spanish
Thanks Mar 6, 2009

... for the code Antonín, you have been kind enough to share it with us. Sorry if it is a silly question but I am hopeless at computer stuffs. If I want to change the macro and set the language into another one instead of English, let's say Spanish or French, do I have to change only the eight line, and replace EngishUK for French? Normally, I would try it myself before asking but I am on vacations until april and this computer does not have Office, it is just to check my mails, and I do not w... See more
... for the code Antonín, you have been kind enough to share it with us. Sorry if it is a silly question but I am hopeless at computer stuffs. If I want to change the macro and set the language into another one instead of English, let's say Spanish or French, do I have to change only the eight line, and replace EngishUK for French? Normally, I would try it myself before asking but I am on vacations until april and this computer does not have Office, it is just to check my mails, and I do not want to miss the opportunity to solve my doubt.

TIA
Mariale
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Changing the language Mar 7, 2009

Simply put your desired language's code in this line instead of msoLanguageIDEnglishUK:

You can find a full list of these codes in the VBA help for "LanguageID Property", but trying to use the "human" English word for the language instead of "EnglishUK" usually works

Antonin

mariale125
mariale125
Local time: 13:23
English to Spanish
Thanks, again Mar 9, 2009

Hi Antonín, you are great! Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us.

Have a nice week.
Mariale

Orla Shanaghy
Orla Shanaghy  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:23
German to English
Still have problem with text boxes that are superimposed over graphics Sep 22, 2009

Hi Antonin et al, I have just come across this thread. Many thanks for the VBA code Antonin. I have just installed and run it myself and it worked fine. The only issue I still have is that it didn't work on text boxes that are superimposed over graphics. Unless I can find a way of automatically converting these to UK EN, I will have to go the "traditional" route i.e. go through the whole PPT and convert them manually. Does anyone know of a macro or other method that converts text in / over graph... See more
Hi Antonin et al, I have just come across this thread. Many thanks for the VBA code Antonin. I have just installed and run it myself and it worked fine. The only issue I still have is that it didn't work on text boxes that are superimposed over graphics. Unless I can find a way of automatically converting these to UK EN, I will have to go the "traditional" route i.e. go through the whole PPT and convert them manually. Does anyone know of a macro or other method that converts text in / over graphics? Many thanks in advance, Orla.Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Ask Terry Richards! Sep 23, 2009

Terry very kindly provided me with a little macro of his own devising, which as far as I can see does exactly what you want (I don't know about notes, as I've never had the occasion to try it on those)

But it certainly seems to work fine with text boxes, except for ones that are already embedded within other graphic elements, of course!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Set language in entire PPT presentation

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »