https://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/35281-suggest_word_counting_software_for_windows.html

suggest word counting software for windows?
Thread poster: terryward
terryward
terryward
English
Aug 2, 2005

Hello, if anyone can recommend features rich word counting application
for Windows? I need it to count words and characters in my writings
and create an invoices.

Also, please, share you pros and cons about the work counting tools.

Patricia Fierro, M. Sc.
Patricia Fierro, M. Sc.  Identity Verified
Ecuador
Local time: 04:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
Practicount Aug 2, 2005

Hello,

I use Practicount (www.practiline.com) and I am quite happy with. It can count PPT and PDF files.

Regards,
Patricia

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:02
German to English
+ ...
FreeBudget Aug 2, 2005

I like FreeBudget by the publishers of WebBudget. You can set up profiles for different customers, which is helpful if you work with different currencies and units (words, lines).

terryward
terryward
English
TOPIC STARTER
what features do I really need? Aug 2, 2005

Thank you, Patricia and Daina!

What about time tracking? I'm looking for a purchasing good software now and I'd like to have it fully-features.

Sometime I charge for time (not for words number). What do you think if I it's reasonable to search program with this function?

Also, I noticed FreeBudget allows excluding footnotes, annotations, headers, footers and so on.. If I will need this features in future if what I do is translating job?

Also,
... See more

What about time tracking? I'm looking for a purchasing good software now and I'd like to have it fully-features.

Sometime I charge for time (not for words number). What do you think if I it's reasonable to search program with this function?

Also, I noticed FreeBudget allows excluding footnotes, annotations, headers, footers and so on.. If I will need this features in future if what I do is translating job?

Also, I have a question about file types - sure, I need Word and Text, PDF and PPT is also a good idea to support presentations and papers in PDF. What other formats do I miss? Excel? As for me I do mostly work with DOC and PDF. Please, advise.
Collapse

sorchio
sorchio
Germany
Local time: 11:02
English to German
Anycount and Time Stamp Aug 2, 2005

Hiya,

When I purchased Translation Office 3000 I had the program "Anycount" included which I found very helpful. It can be purchased on the AiT website.

As for time tracking, you might want to try a free program first. A while ago someone on the forums ment
... See more
Hiya,

When I purchased Translation Office 3000 I had the program "Anycount" included which I found very helpful. It can be purchased on the AiT website.

As for time tracking, you might want to try a free program first. A while ago someone on the forums mentioned Time Stamp by Syntap. It is freeware, very easy to use and has been of great help to me (not only for when I charge for time but also to keep track of how long I needed for a project).

Regards,
Rebecca

terryward wrote:

Also, I have a question about file types - sure, I need Word and Text, PDF and PPT is also a good idea to support presentations and papers in PDF. What other formats do I miss? Excel? As for me I do mostly work with DOC and PDF. Please, advise.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:02
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
CompleteWordCount for MS Word 2000+ Aug 3, 2005

terryward wrote:
Hello, if anyone can recommend features rich word counting application for Windows? I need it to count words and characters in my writings and create an invoices.

I don't have one that writes invoices, but if you want one for MS Word 2000+ that counts *everything* (except text in pictures, word art text or any hidden text), try the freeware macro CompleteWordCount.

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/CompleteWordCount/

Google also found this for me:
http://www.proz.com/topic/25590

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

suggest word counting software for windows?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »