Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:28
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Aug 25, 2005

I'm reading a play at the moment which is placed in Greece, but the main text is in Finnish. The author had written here and there Greek expressions into the dialogue, but I see these strings as latin characters. Somehow the original formatting did not hold.
How can I format these strings so that they get back the Greek characters? I use Word XP, Finnish version.
Thanks for advice!
Heinrich

Dimitra Karamperi
Dimitra Karamperi  Identity Verified
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
Do you have a Greek font? Aug 25, 2005

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

I'm reading a play at the moment which is placed in Greece, but the main text is in Finnish. The author had written here and there Greek expressions into the dialogue, but I see these strings as latin characters. Somehow the original formatting did not hold.
How can I format these strings so that they get back the Greek characters? I use Word XP, Finnish version.
Thanks for advice!
Heinrich

Hello Heinrich,

I believe that the problem is that you don't have installed a Greek font. I could send you one, if you like.
Maybe you can also send me the file to see how these characters appear in my PC, where I have Greek version of windows XP and Word.
Best regards,
Dimitra

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Dimitra Aug 25, 2005

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not able to send attachements through Proz mail, and you cannot send me a font because of the same restrictions. Is there a link to a public font for greek?
How about Unicode. I thought with Unicode everything should be possible.
Regards
Heinrich

Dimitra Karamperi
Dimitra Karamperi  Identity Verified
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
Fonts to download Aug 25, 2005

Hi Heinrich,

You can download greek fonts from this page:
http://www.in.gr/grfonts.htm
If the problem is not fixed, you can send me an e-mail through Proz and I will send you my direct e-mail address.
Regards,
Dimitra

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:28
German to English
+ ...
Language support Aug 25, 2005

I take it you are sure it is not Greek transcribed into Latin characters.

Most Roman fonts also include the Greek alphabet and Arial Unicode MS certainly will. Lack of font characters is usually indicated by blanks, question marks or small squares. With maybe the provision that the document is not written in an unusual non-Unicode font, I would doubt that it is a font problem if it is showing any characters at all.

Have you enabled Greek language support?

<
... See more
I take it you are sure it is not Greek transcribed into Latin characters.

Most Roman fonts also include the Greek alphabet and Arial Unicode MS certainly will. Lack of font characters is usually indicated by blanks, question marks or small squares. With maybe the provision that the document is not written in an unusual non-Unicode font, I would doubt that it is a font problem if it is showing any characters at all.

Have you enabled Greek language support?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;177561
Collapse

Nick Lingris
Nick Lingris  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:28
Member (2006)
English to Greek
+ ...
How to Read, Write, Print and Email in Greek Aug 25, 2005

Depending on your system, one of the solutions suggested may solve the problem.

For a number of solutions based on different systems, you may also consult this link:
http://www.hri.org/fonts/

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I got it Aug 26, 2005

Taking Greek language support did not help, but when I installed SPionic TTF I imediately got Word display the greek strings. Thanks for help!
Regards
Heinrich

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to change strings into Greek?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »