Databases for managing clients
Thread poster: Timothy Barton

Timothy Barton
Local time: 15:36
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Aug 30, 2005

I began building a list of clients in Excel, but before long I realised what I really needed was a database, as I needed lists within lists, ie, I wanted a list of clients, but when these clients are companies, I also wanted a list of staff I have been in contact with, phone calls made and projects.

I know this shouldn't be too difficult with Access, and indeed I created a similar type of database at a previous job (non-translation related) I had, but I always struggle with certain aspects of Access. I've tried adapting the default contacts database provided with Access. This database has the main entry as a person, and you can add company details as a sub-entry, but I want it the other way round. But one problem I'm having is that some of the fields I'm adding on some tabs are appearing in other tabs.

Anyway, what I'd like to know is whether anyone out there either knows of a good database for freelance translators I can download, or would be able to send me his or her database (without the data, of course) in exchange for some electronic glossaries, translation of CV, or anything else I can do in exchange.

Direct link Reply with quote

Gary Daine
English to Spanish
+ ...
Translation Office Aug 30, 2005

I've been using this for a while and it fits your description well.
I actually programmed my own system in Access, but it took up far too much time I was supposed to be spending on other things.

There's a demo available at www.translation3000.com.

HTH
Gary

Timothy Barton
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 30, 2005

Gary Daine wrote:

I've been using this for a while and it fits your description well.
I actually programmed my own system in Access, but it took up far too much time I was supposed to be spending on other things.

There's a demo available at www.translation3000.com.

HTH
Gary

Looks good. Has much more info than I could ever have thought of. The only negative thing I can see is obviously that you can't edit the database itself. From what I can see, for example, there's no way of adding additional information about contacts within a company.

Once the one month trial runs out, can I buy it and carry on using the data I've already entered, or would I have to enter all the data again?

Gary Daine
English to Spanish
+ ...
TO3000 Aug 30, 2005

Timothy Barton wrote:

Looks good. Has much more info than I could ever have thought of. The only negative thing I can see is obviously that you can't edit the database itself. From what I can see, for example, there's no way of adding additional information about contacts within a company.

Once the one month trial runs out, can I buy it and carry on using the data I've already entered, or would I have to enter all the data again?

Do you mean the downloadable databases? I don't use those - the program itself is an empty db application (althought IIRC it comes with a few sample clients) which I use for my own clients, jobs, invoicing, quotes, contacts, etc.

When/If you buy it, you get a key which you plug in and carry on - no need to re-enter anything.

Timothy Barton
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I've found it Aug 30, 2005

I've found what I wanted anyway. In Settings - Customization additional fields can be added.

Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:36
Member (2004)
Farsi (Persian) to English
+ ...
Trial period Aug 30, 2005

No need to re-enter. Your data will remain valid after you purchase the software and enter your serial code. But it may be good idea to use the backup feature every once in a while to safe keep your data.

Gary [/quote]
Once the one month trial runs out, can I buy it and carry on using the data I've already entered, or would I have to enter all the data again?[/quote]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Databases for managing clients

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs