Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Fax software recommendations
Thread poster: Orla Ryan

Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 18:03
Aug 30, 2005

For reasons of space, I would prefer not to get a fax machine, so I am looking into getting a fax software that can send/receive faxes on my laptop through Outlook 2003.

Have no idea how to go about it though. What do you use? Is there a s/w you can recommend?

Go raibh maith agaibh!
Órla

Direct link Reply with quote

Lars Jelking  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 20:03
Member (2006)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Windows. Aug 30, 2005

Windows XP operating system has a fax function module built in. I have used it extensively without any hitches. Check your installation, and it mitght be there.

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 13:03
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Hi Orla Aug 30, 2005

I receive faxes and send scanned documents. If you have a printer/scanner you don't need anything else.

For receiving faxes I use the free service of http://home.j2.com/ They give you a number in the city you want (if available) and those who send faxes to you don't even know that you receive them via e-mail.

I've been using this system for 4 years, no problem at all (except that they try to convince me to swith to the Premier version).

Claudia

Ireland
TOPIC STARTER
J2 programme Aug 30, 2005

Excellent - will check that out. Do you just tell the client to fax the document to your own phone number or do you have to give them another number?

I have tried the fax programme in XP but to no avail :~(

O.

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 13:03
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
They give you a different number Aug 30, 2005

This number is linked to your e-mail address.
That's why you can ask for a number in another location.
You will have a phone number and a different fax number. You'll have to download their program to be able to read the faxes you receive.

Claudia

PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:03
English to Polish
+ ...
Fax software in Windows Aug 30, 2005

The only drawback in using a "soft" fax machine is that you cannot pick up faxes when the computer is turned off, and presumably not many of us leave the computer on 24/7.

You can, of course, fiddle around with settings so it hibernates and wakes up when there is an incoming fax, but I, for one, did not find this appealing.

The other drawback is having to scan hard copies of whatever you need to send, unless it's a straight document which you just print, using the fax as the output printer. The wizard guides you through the whole process.

I don't use it often, so I forget how it works, but once I remember it's quite easy.

HTH
Pawel Skalinski

liora  Identity Verified
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
But Claudia`s suggestion still requires a scanner\printer Aug 30, 2005

If I understand correctly, Claudia`s solution saves on phone expenses because one gets a free phone number and uses email, but a scenner\printer is still required. So where`s the saving on space ?

So if you already have a printer and don`t want to buy another space gobbling device, perhaps you should look into flat scanners. You can put your laptop on top it it if you wish, for space saving.
If you don`t have a printer (???)you will be able to read the faxes you receive but not to print them.

I hope I understood the tech problem properly.

Liora

Ireland
TOPIC STARTER
space, the final frontier Aug 30, 2005

Hi Liora - I have a combined Printer/Scanner/Copier machine. But I don't have space to put a fax machine beside that with my books/papers/files/stationary and laptop.

I can actually charge the cost of the fax software to a client who requires to me have it, so that's OK
I just want to get it right the first time round and not mess about with various download programmes.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
no need for printer Aug 30, 2005

liora bernstein wrote:

If I understand correctly, Claudia`s solution saves on phone expenses because one gets a free phone number and uses email, but a scenner\printer is still required. So where`s the saving on space ?

Why print faxes on paper? For translation the digital file is enough, you can feed it into OCR and convert it into Word. I only print my invoices on paper, because they must be saved for 10 years.
I use Efax, but lately less and less customer send faxes anymore. What a relief!

Ireland
TOPIC STARTER
irish business etiquette Aug 30, 2005

Irish customers still rely on faxes & phone calls for some reason. E-mail is certainly popular but it is not the #1 form of business communication. Irish clients usually prefer to call you first and then offer to fax their document over to you.

It was never an priority before to invest in a fax as practically all my clients live outside Ireland, but now I have to get it. Ah well! I don't mind if it means more €€€

Orla

PAS  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Maybe...? Aug 30, 2005

You can replace your phone set (you do have one ) with a phone/fax machine?

Some Panasonic machines are 11x14 inches at the base, so they're really not that big.

Or am I overstepping boundaries here?

P.A.S.

Ireland
TOPIC STARTER
other options Aug 30, 2005

PAS wrote:

You can replace your phone set (you do have one ) with a phone/fax machine?

Some Panasonic machines are 11x14 inches at the base, so they're really not that big.

Or am I overstepping boundaries here?

P.A.S.

sounds good, I'll make that my Plan B.
I don't want to mess about with more adapters and cables if i can help it

Cristóbal del Río Faura  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
e-fax Aug 30, 2005

An additional benefit of an e-fax service like J2 and others is that you can receive faxes wherever you are, as long as you have access to your email account.

Regards,
Cristobal

NB: I use a Spanish e-fax provider (Infofax) and receive faxes in pdf format, so no special program is needed to read them, just Acrobat reader.

[Edited at 2005-08-30 19:09]

Daniel Bird  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
If you're willing to "trade in" your current printer... Aug 30, 2005

...the HP PSC950 is a first rate printer/fax/scanner/copier. If you download the XP driver from the website you will find set up is a doddle and you send faxes by simply selecting the fax as your printer. Ours has worked faultlessly for several years, and if you're a digital camera fan, it even has slots for SmartMedia, Memory Stick etc. Cartridges aren't too spenny (anyhow, no need to print a paper fax using this machine). Not sure if it's still available but probably around the £200 mark (English).
Having said that I'm looking into setting up with J2 for my regular offshore haunts when I don't want to lug equipment around.
Good luck
DB

word-awareness
United States
Local time: 11:03
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Trustfax.com Aug 30, 2005

I have just signed up with them and cannot complain. Very affordable fee and a toll-free 866 number for US (and Canada, I believe).

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fax software recommendations

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs