Mobile menu

How to apply Display Texts to the RTF file prepared from Framemaker
Thread poster: tvtruc

tvtruc
Vietnam
Local time: 17:39
English to Vietnamese
Aug 31, 2005

I often have jobs of translating User Guides. To do these jobs the client give me an RTF file in English for translation with Display Text in language pairs in an Excel files. The display texts are the texts between this tags:



I know you can apply translations to this texts automatically.

Can anyone please show me how to do it?

I am using FrameMaker 7 with Trados 6.5. I know very little of FM.

Thank you in advance for your help.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 12:39
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

MODERATOR
Moving the topic Aug 31, 2005

to the Office Applications forum.

Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxOlaf
Local time: 12:39
English to German
Use FrameMaker (MIF) files and S-Tagger instead Sep 1, 2005

I don't know who prepared the Frame files, but you shouldn't end up with Excel files. The normal procedure is to convert the Frame files to .mif files in FrameMaker. The .mif files then need to be converted to STF files with the S-Tagger for FrameMaker filter. Since you have FrameMaker you should request that they send .fm or .mif files and process them yourself. This will also allow you to convert the files back to Frame files and print them with FrameMaker for proofreading.

Olaf


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 12:39
English to Polish
More details required Sep 5, 2005

Is RTF file "regular" one?
Are there any tags in this file?

It is possible to prepare FrameMaker file so that UI (or similar) elements are taken from variables (and translator cannot access them directly in the document).

HTH,
Wojtek


Direct link Reply with quote
 

tvtruc
Vietnam
Local time: 17:39
English to Vietnamese
TOPIC STARTER
Use FrameMaker (MIF) files and S-Tagger instead Sep 6, 2005

Thank for your response Olaf,

The client prepared the RTF file for me (converted from MIF, I think.)

Truc

Olaf wrote:

I don't know who prepared the Frame files, but you shouldn't end up with Excel files. The normal procedure is to convert the Frame files to .mif files in FrameMaker. The .mif files then need to be converted to STF files with the S-Tagger for FrameMaker filter. Since you have FrameMaker you should request that they send .fm or .mif files and process them yourself. This will also allow you to convert the files back to Frame files and print them with FrameMaker for proofreading.

Olaf


Direct link Reply with quote
 

tvtruc
Vietnam
Local time: 17:39
English to Vietnamese
TOPIC STARTER
More details required Sep 6, 2005

Thanks Wojciech Froelich,

The RTF was converted from MIF file using S-Tagger for FM. It has tags in it.

So I guess I can convert the translated RTF back to MIF and apply DTs using FM then.

Truc

Wojciech Froelich wrote:

Is RTF file "regular" one?
Are there any tags in this file?

It is possible to prepare FrameMaker file so that UI (or similar) elements are taken from variables (and translator cannot access them directly in the document).

HTH,
Wojtek


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 12:39
English to Polish
You will need ORG file Sep 6, 2005

Truc Tran wrote:

Thanks Wojciech Froelich,

The RTF was converted from MIF file using S-Tagger for FM. It has tags in it.

So I guess I can convert the translated RTF back to MIF and apply DTs using FM then.


You will also need ORG file (to convert back to MIF). Have you received ancillary.rtf file?

Wojciech


Direct link Reply with quote
 

tvtruc
Vietnam
Local time: 17:39
English to Vietnamese
TOPIC STARTER
You will need ORG file Sep 6, 2005

I do receive ancillary.rtf file sometime Wojciech.

Wojciech Froelich wrote:

Truc Tran wrote:

Thanks Wojciech Froelich,

The RTF was converted from MIF file using S-Tagger for FM. It has tags in it.

So I guess I can convert the translated RTF back to MIF and apply DTs using FM then.


You will also need ORG file (to convert back to MIF). Have you received ancillary.rtf file?

Wojciech


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to apply Display Texts to the RTF file prepared from Framemaker

Advanced search






Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs