Track changes in Word 2000
Thread poster: xxxBAmary
xxxBAmary  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 17, 2005

I am using the track changes feature in Word 2000. In the main part of the document I need to show changes done to some screens, but in the Annex, I need to translate the screens (which I copy from the main part of the doc). The thing is when I translate, the translation shows as track changes, and if I remove them, Word removes all the changes in the whole doc (including the main part where I need to see them). So the question is: does anyone know if I can apply track changes "only" to a part of a doc?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Direct link Reply with quote

PCovs
Denmark
Local time: 19:10
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
Cut and paste the parts out Oct 17, 2005

As far as I know, this is the only way to do it.

You must cut and paste the sections, which you need to translate, into a new document without 'track changes', do the translation and then cut/paste it back.

Or...
Why do you need 'track changes' to be active while translating?
Is 'track changes' applied for the client?

If the client needs changes to be shown in some parts and a translation of another part, I would simply cut/paste the translation parts out and deliver them as such.

Woops!
I'm not sure if you can cut/paste it BACK into the doc. with
'track changes' whitout this part also showing the changes.

[Edited at 2005-10-17 19:10]

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Track changes in Word 2000 Oct 17, 2005

What I do (not in Word, which I don't normally use, but in OpenOffice.org, which has the same function) is simply to switch off the tracking function for changes that I don't want to be tracked, then switch it back on again when I want to continue "tracking" the changes. This is particularly useful when I find myself wanting to undo a tracked change I made some time previously - simply undoing (Ctrl-Z) back to the point concerned would "undo" all the changes in-between, which are wanted. The "proper" way of doing this is probably to call up the dialog displaying all the changes, then edit the change concerned, but I find that more time-consuming than switching tracking off and back on again.

Marc

Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
If you don't want to have Word track changes, simply disable 'track changes while editing' Oct 17, 2005

You can enable or disable tracking changes while editing anytime you want. Changes will only be tracked while it is enabled. If you want to track changes in only part of the document, simply enable 'Track changes while editing' before starting to make the changes and then disble it after finishing with that part of the document.

I hope you're not confusing *tracking* changes with *displaying* tracked changes. You can independently enable or disable both of these options.

[Edited at 2005-10-17 19:20]

PCovs
Denmark
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
With Kenneth! Oct 17, 2005

I never thought of this!
I thought you were talking about showing the changes in the doc.

And, again, if this only done for your own sake and not the client's, then Kenneth is right [sorry Marc].

[Edited at 2005-10-17 19:49]

Canada
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Actually I was... Oct 18, 2005

Kenneth Cox wrote:

You can enable or disable tracking changes while editing anytime you want. Changes will only be tracked while it is enabled. If you want to track changes in only part of the document, simply enable 'Track changes while editing' before starting to make the changes and then disble it after finishing with that part of the document.

I hope you're not confusing *tracking* changes with *displaying* tracked changes. You can independently enable or disable both of these options.

[Edited at 2005-10-17 19:20]

Hi Kenneth,

Yes, I was mistaking "tracking" for "displaying"...
I'll do as you say. I'll see if I can display tracked changes only in a part of the document. Thanks a lot for your help.

Canada
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 18, 2005

[quote]PCovs wrote:

Why do you need 'track changes' to be active while translating?
Is 'track changes' applied for the client?

I don't need track changes to be active while translating. The analyst writes the document in French, the writer corrects spelling mistakes, terminology, etc. also in French. Then I translate into English and Spanish, but the analysts want the translation as an appendix within the same doc. So, if the writer enabled track changes, they automatically show in my translation. I tried to disable the function but the changes vanished in the part the writer had corrected... I'll try Kenneth suggestion now. Thanks a lot for your help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Track changes in Word 2000

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs