Symbols with strange dot underneath in Word 2002
Thread poster: Sonja Tomaskovic
Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:22
English to German
+ ...
Oct 18, 2005

I have a document that requires special symbols, such as Greek letters or certain mathematical symbols.

I usually insert the symbol on its first occurrence by going to the Insert->Symbols menu, and then try to copy and paste it afterwards.

Some of these symbols display a dot underneath them, whereas others don't. I have already tried to simply copy and paste those without a dot to the places where a dot appears, but the dots remain. My guess is that this is some kind of formatting information only present in certain places.

I have already checked all the obvious menus that might affect this, but to no avail.

Does anyone know where to look for?

TIA.

Sonja

Direct link Reply with quote

Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
Dots are most likely separate characters Oct 18, 2005

...and are therefore inserted and deleted separately.

The challenge in deleting them is to find the insertion point (cursor position) at which to hit Del or Backspace, because this is not immediately apparent (the most likely position is before or after the character under which the dot appears.

If you advance the cursor through the word (or character sequence) in question by repeatedly pressing an arrow key (right or left), there should be a position at which the cursor doesn't jump to the next character but remains in the same position. At this position, you should be able to delete the dot by pressing either Del or Backspace (depending on whether you've advanced the cursor with the left or right arrow key).

Endre

JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 10:22
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
And THIS is why I still insist: WordPerfect is better than Word! Oct 18, 2005

Endre Both wrote:

The challenge in deleting them is to find the insertion point (cursor position) at which to hit Del or Backspace
Endre

I know that this is hardly helpful...but whenever I can get by with it, I do my work on WordPerfect and, if necessary, save it as RTF to send to the client. WordPerfect has many advantages I could list, but "Reveal Codes" is far and away the most valuable! With WP it is extremely easy to find that pesky bit of code and delete it.

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It worked Oct 19, 2005

Thank you, Endre, your suggestion worked. Indeed I had not considered that this might be a separate character.

I am not sure how the dot made its way into my document, but I guess that this must have happened during conversion from PDF to DOC.

Regards,

Sonja

[Edited at 2005-10-19 07:48]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Symbols with strange dot underneath in Word 2002

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs