Thread poster: Amy Williams

Amy Williams  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:11
Italian to English
+ ...
Oct 20, 2005

Not a great headline, sorry!

I'm running MS Office Small Business Edition 2003 on Windows XP.

I don't have problems with Excel/Publisher etc., just with Word.

Word keeps closing down on me. It doesn't "crash" and there is no "error - has to close down" dialogue box. It doesn't even ask me whether I want to save changes. It simply vanishes. I then re-open Word and the recovered file(s) is/are on the left hand side of the screen.

It seems to happen more frequently when I have two Word screens open and am flicking between the two (on the toolbar), which leads me to wonder whether I am simply inept at using my mouse and whether I might be clicking on "close" on the toolbar with my right mouse button...(?) Is that possible? Surely there would be a "do you wish to save?" prompt?

Hmm. In any case, it's starting to annoy me.

Any suggestions?

Direct link Reply with quote

Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:11
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
An idea Oct 20, 2005

It has happened to me sometimes when working with Trados and for some reason the file size grows (almost exponentially) while I'm working and it is being saved. If that is the case, I save it with another name and alternate the save function between both files every now and then with ceratin frequency before it vanishes.

[Edited at 2005-10-20 19:18]

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:11
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
My Word freezes sometimes Oct 20, 2005

It has something to do with the graphic card, Word does not use it properly. Nowadays I know which files are typically effected and I can avoid crashes. I save a lot and in between close the file and open it again at least once a day. Otherwise I can manage to keep my computer running for at least a week without crashing.
But formerly I had crashes every few minutes with some kinds of files.
Try to get the newest driver for you graphics card!

Fuad Yahya  Identity Verified
+ ...
When this happens, I delete the Normal template, and things improve Oct 20, 2005

Following the advice given to me on the phone by MS technical support staff, when Word begins to behave this way, I delete the Normal template, and the kink goes away -- for a while, anyway.

A more difficult issue is how to prevent it from happening again, or what is it that causes the Normal template to currupt in this fashion. There is no one identifiable thing, but any number of things that just happen to drive the Normal template to the nut house. The more utilities you run in the background, the more likely the Normal template will suffer some damage.

I now routinely delete the Normal template just to get better, quicker performance, even if no uncalled-for closure occurs.

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:11
Member (2005)
German to Spanish
Some tips Oct 20, 2005

Close Word..well it do it alone

Ctrl + Alt + Delete
go to the second column (process or something like this, my W is in German)

Search for winword or word if you find it, delete it.

Search for

delete it

search for any dot starting with ~
or any plug-in you have install in Word

Tuneup Utilities (30 days trial)

and maybe the reason is just that you need to buy more RAM

[Edited at 2005-10-21 08:10]

Marco Oberto  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:11
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Conflict between two Word versions Oct 20, 2005

I'd suggest you to check whether there are 2 or more versions of the Word software in your PC.

I experienced this problem an year or so ago, when I installed the newer 2003 Word version of the software. Unfortunately, after the installation, I forgot to get rid of the older 2000 version and this caused a very frequent crash each time I opened a new document, no matter how long it was.

As soon as I deleted Word 2000, the software started to work properly.

Amy Williams  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:11
Italian to English
+ ...
cheers Oct 20, 2005

Thanks to all of you for your comments - glad to hear I'm not the only one with problems! Will try out your ideas.
All the best,

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word 2003 closing - any ideas?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info » PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs