Hidden text not showing up, except in print preview and printed version -help please!
Thread poster: Rosa Maria Duenas Rios
Rosa Maria Duenas Rios  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:02
Nov 21, 2005

Hi I know this is a very simple issue to solve, and I have solved it myself in the past, but for some reason I cannot seem to handle it in this document.

I am working on a simple Word 2002 format (no CATs). The second page has a hidden text box which only appears when I use the "print preview" function, or when I print the document.

To unhide the box, I have tried the toggle hide/unhide feature of the standard toolbar; I have tried ctl+caps+8; have tried tools/options/view/hidden text; also ctrl+A and code shift+F. Of course I have consulted the forums, and looked for help on the Internet, but nothing seems to work!

I need to get into that box to have the content translated before tomorrow.
Any suggestions/help will be most appreciated. Thanks in advance!

[Edited at 2005-11-21 23:48]

Direct link Reply with quote

Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
this might help... Nov 21, 2005

This sounds like something I experienced once. Try going to "insert" and selecting "text box". Good luck, Rosi, let us know if this works.

Best,

Susana Galilea
Accredited Translator, English into Spanish
sgalilea@ispwest.com
www.accentonspanish.com

TOPIC STARTER
It worked!!!!! Nov 22, 2005

Hi Susi,
Thanks a million! I can't believe it was sooooooo simple!
How long did it take YOU to figure it out when you had the problem? I must say I find Word's logic quite unusual. Why would I insert a text box when I only want the one already there to show up? But there is a relationship after all...

¡Bruja!

[Edited at 2005-11-22 00:00]

Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
delighted to be of help :))) Nov 22, 2005

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios wrote:
Hi Susi,
Thanks a million! I can't believe it was sooooooo simple!
How long did it take YOU to figure it out when you had the problem? I must say I find Word's logic quite unusual. Why would I insert a text box when I only want the one already there to show up? But there is a relationship after all...

¡Bruja!

It was a total fluke, sometimes being the illogical sort pays off

Happy translating,

S.G.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 03:02
German
+ ...
Know your tools Nov 22, 2005

It's probably not illogical at all. The underlying problem could have been one of two things, from the top of my head:

1) You were viewing and editing the document in Normal view. Graphic elements such as text boxes only show up in the Print Preview or Page Layout modes.
2) You had the display of drawings turned off in Tools|Settings.

Both can be reverted by switching the respective setting OR by inserting a new text box, as Word automatically deactivates any settings that would prohibit the new text box from showing up on your screen in the first place...thankfully. But it's easy to see how that may have led you to wrong conclusions about the logic behind Word's behavior.

Regards,
Benjamin

P.S.: The only way in Word to see a list of existing bookmarks in your document is to click Insert|Bookmark... - now THAT'S illogical.

[Edited at 2005-11-22 12:18]

TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Tectranslate! Nov 22, 2005

I always work using the "print layout".
In tools/options/view, I have "drawings" marked up so that I can see drawings. Other than that, I do not know what I was doing worng... and worse, I do not know why Windows does not include this topic when one asks about "hidden text box" in their help menu! Thanks again!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hidden text not showing up, except in print preview and printed version -help please!

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums