Mobile menu

How to make shortcut keys for certain characters in MS Word?
Thread poster: chopra_2002

chopra_2002  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:42
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Dec 3, 2005

Unlike English, the Hindi language has so many characters and it is not possible to accommodate them all in the keyboard itself. That is why, we have to type certain codes to get many characters. This is a time-consuming process and hampers the speed also as we have to press the "Numerical Lock" and "Alt" keys and then insert the code numbers to obtain certain characters.

I understand a procedure exists as per which we can assign certain characters to keys like F1 or F2 etc. which means we won't have any need to follow the lengthy process mentioned hereinabove for getting the requisite Hindi characters. This can be done for characters which are frequently repeated as it will save time and won't affect the speed of typing. I tried to know about this procedure by searching the Help but could not locate the relevant topic for doing the needful.

I'd appreciate if someone could explain the procedure in this respect in detail.

Thanks in anticipation.

[Edited at 2005-12-03 12:33]

[Edited at 2005-12-03 12:37]

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalie  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:12
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Hi Dec 3, 2005

As the question concerns MS Word, I have moved the thread to the Office Applications forum.

Robert Zawadzki  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Use keyboard layout creator Dec 3, 2005

This will work not only in Word

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use the function "Insert special characters" Dec 3, 2005

or "symbols" - I don´t know the english name for it.
When there, chose the sign you will insert and then click on "Keyboard" - so you will be able to assign any shortcut of your choice.
Word can be teached to do what you want it to do.

Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
English to Swedish
+ ... Dec 3, 2005

Margarita M. Martínez
Local time: 06:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
Use of the self-corrector or auto corrector tool (I do not know the exact name in English) Dec 4, 2005

(as I use the Spanish version). In the Tools menu you will find the option (third place starting by the end).

I do not know exactly the characters you need or how to give you the "exact" or "best" form to do it but it is quite easy and it works (for me at least!)

Let me give you an example and then you decide how to apply it for your own needs. (It works for almost everything).

First of all you need to type the characters you need (but keep in mind that this works the same for rather large amounts of words and even jpg files, logos and other "things"). Once you have it properly "done" you select the characters (image or whatever). While it is selected you go to Tools and then to "auto correct" (or whatever its name in Englis is, I cannot remember it now). You will find to boxes to fill. In the first one (Replace) you type a kind of "code" that you have to remember to enter each time you need to use the selected characters (or words, or files...). On the other box at right it says "With" and you have two options: "Without Format" and "With Format". If it is plain text (I assume it is not your case) that you want to use several times and the format will depend on the format you are using in the document, then you can leave it "Without Format". (Format then will change according to the formant of the document you introduce the text in). Otherwise, you check the box "With Format". That's all!

Each time you want to type the "selected" characters, text or file you enter de code and after introducing a sapece or return the whole thing will appear in your document.

Let me explain it easier with an example. I use simple white paper for my letters and I want them to appear with the Logo of my company (sometimes). I introduced my Logo in the "auto corrector" with the code "xxxlogo". Each time I want to introduce the logo in my letter I go to the place I want it to appear and then type "xxxlogo" and a sapece and there it is!

In you case of characters it is slightly different. Let's say that my computer has not the french accent ^ in a single key and I do not want to press AltGr { each time. Then I enter the â with the "code" aaa. It is not usual that you have a word with 3 "a" all together. So each time I press aaa the â will appear that is easier for me. (It is a rather stupid example, but I think it will work to make you understand).

YOU MUST BE CAREFUL TO USE CODES THAT DO NOT FIT WITH WORDS OR PART OF WORDS. If I would have used "logo" instead of "xxxlogo", each time I type "logo" (as part of a tetx) my logo would appear.

Good luck and hope it helps. If anybody uses this and finds it helpful I would feel very happy to know about. Most people do not imagine that the "autocorrector" is not only for typing errors. And as a matter of interest, this is an option that comes from much earlier than Microsoft Word. I first knew of it as a user of Apple (IIe) and it comes with a more "reasonably" name. It is called "Glossary". (You keeep your own glossary and I was able to take dictation -kind of shorhatd- in the computer by this way). Best regards, Margarita M. Martínez (

PS: I forgot something (the "bad" news). This used to work indistinctly with any language. I have found that lately (last versions) (sometimes) you must select the language you are using previous to introducing the "codes". If you enter the "aaa" while using French it may not work while working in Spanish. (Select the proper language from the Tools menu "define (or select) language" once you select the text or characters and before introducing the code. The real "bad news" is that when you change or upgrade Word you cannot "import" or "export" your "glossary" and you have to start all over again (as far as I know). This works with "normal dot" so you will be asked to save the changes in normal dot each time you close Word after introducing new "terms" so be careful to say Yes (not to loose your work and have a naughty surprise when you open it again). ;0)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to make shortcut keys for certain characters in MS Word?

Advanced search

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs