Word documents are starting up in "safe mode"
Thread poster: Martina Keskintepe
ashmtl (X)
ashmtl (X)
Armenian to Russian
+ ...
On the solution from PowerUserJ Jun 26, 2009

Thank you Jay for excellent solution.
I have Word 2003 and got the same problem after MS updates.
Just following your tips I was back in business in 30 seconds.
P.S Had similar problem with Excel 2003, renaming the normal.dot solved the problem.

[Edited at 2009-06-26 04:39 GMT]

Thanks this worked! Jun 8, 2011

PowerUserJ wrote:

What a disaster the previous time that this happened (WORD only opened in safe mode, nothing worked) MS support could not help me with any answer or suggestions, but offered to try with no guaranteed results if I would send them an expensive "consulting fee" since my version of WORD was not supported (apparently only Vista and latest generation Office products can get free support.)...HOW NICE TO BE BIG AND MAKE THE RULES...I THOUGHT. I was forced to inconveniently use my cloned back-up hard drive that I keep for potential virus or system crash problems, and it took several hours to then update the back-up hard drive with my latest files. What a pain, but this was one solution to avoid total disaster.

This time, when it happened, I wanted to avoid the time loss involving my use of a back up cloned hard drive...and none of the forum posts were of any help. So, I tried something very simple (I am not sure why I tried this either quite by accident or by intuition) and it worked, quickly and perfectly to solve my problem. Below is what I did, and you might try it if you are having a similar problem.

1 Open WORD in safe mode when prompted.

2. Go to pull-down menu "Tools", submenu under it "Macros", sub-sub-menu "Visual Basic"

3. Load and save normal.dot that it shows.

Exit WORD and it opens normally.

Apparently, Visual Basic will automatically correct the corruption that someties occurs in Normal.dot due to incomplete installs or incompatible 'Add-in" (some Adobe products are notorious for this), accidentall deletions or machine shut-offs when the normal.dot is open, and corruptions caused by some Microsoft OS update service packs.

Just try the above steps...and hopefully problems are easily solved without huge time drains needed to install or uninstall products.

This is one cure...that may solve your problem...otherwise you may want to temporarily disable add-in software from on your help menu to see if they are causing the problems, tnen un-install the add-ins and reinstall them on your system.

If this works for you, please post your success to let me and others know.

Jay

acomuna
acomuna
Local time: 04:41
Try other strategies Aug 24, 2011

I suggest to try first to locate where the problem is.
I am currently using Word 2010 in Windows 7 and I had the same problem.
So, try this:
- To simply reset the Word registry values to default type winword /r in start search and hit Enter
- To prevent Word from loading the macros type winword /m and hit Enter
- To prevent Word from loading its add-ins, type winword /a and hit Enter.

In my case, Word started without problems after disabling the add-ins
... See more
I suggest to try first to locate where the problem is.
I am currently using Word 2010 in Windows 7 and I had the same problem.
So, try this:
- To simply reset the Word registry values to default type winword /r in start search and hit Enter
- To prevent Word from loading the macros type winword /m and hit Enter
- To prevent Word from loading its add-ins, type winword /a and hit Enter.

In my case, Word started without problems after disabling the add-ins. After that, I tried to disable every add-in and re-started Word to see which add-in was causing the problem. I found that the Bluetooth add-in was the responsible for the problem. I just disabled it, and my Word is just fine.
Collapse

Sheer b****y genius ! Sep 7, 2011

PowerUserJ wrote:

(...)

1 Open WORD in safe mode when prompted.

2. Go to pull-down menu "Tools", submenu under it "Macros", sub-sub-menu "Visual Basic"

3. Load and save normal.dot that it shows.

Exit WORD and it opens normally.

(...)

If this works for you, please post your success to let me and others know.

Jay

As the title of my reply says, "Sheer b****y genius" The fault occurred this afternoon, I repaired Word, used System Restore, re-installed Word, re-installed Office, repaired XP, and nothing made the slightest difference. I turned off virus protection, Spybot, Anti-malware, Skype, TomTom, and everything else that was lurking in the background. I removed the Adobe PDF Maker plug-in. Still crashed every time on startup. Finally thought to search the web, came across your post, and tried it : result -- instant success and unmitigated joy.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

[Edited at 2011-09-08 08:27 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word documents are starting up in "safe mode"

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »