Mobile menu

The selection of odd size of a font in MS Word
Thread poster: xxxSanjiv Sadan
xxxSanjiv Sadan
Local time: 18:34
English to Hindi
+ ...
Feb 26, 2006

In MS Word, we can select the font size in even numbers, e.g. 2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16 but if we need to select a font size in odd numbers, we have to do that manually by inserting the requisite number e.g. 3,5,7,9,11,13,15,17 in the font size column. This kills time if we have to use font of even sizes frequently.

Is there any way of doing it smoothly? Can I have odd sizes also in size list which contains only the even numbers?

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:04
English to German
+ ...
Use a style Feb 26, 2006

Hi Sanjiv,
Why don't you define the required font size in the style you're using?

Best regards,
Ralf

Lars Jelking  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 15:04
Member (2006)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Mixed font sizes. Feb 26, 2006

If the odd size fonts occures only every now and then in your text you can create a macro for each. A push of a botton the selects the font you wish for the moment. This makes it easy to quickly jump between sizes in a mixed text. And you can of course use the same method for different fonts.

MMUlr  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Another method Feb 26, 2006

Ralf is absolutely right, this would be the most elegant way to do it.

An alternative is to finish your text, and as a final step highlight a text segment entering for it the odd size, then continue to highlight all the other sections, pressing F4 for repetition of the command.

Thus you have to press 1 key only instead of using the mouse for size adjustment, etc. etc.

[Edited at 2006-02-26 08:53]

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Why don´t you try the easiest way? Feb 26, 2006

Never ever tried this, really?

Higlihght the text which font size you wish to change.
Then click INTO the font size window in Word and type the size you wish to have - you can enter an odd or even number, even 7,5 or something like that.

You can also press CTRL+D to select the character formatting and do the same there.

Or you use styles - you can do that in two ways. Either by creating a new style from style window or by formatting the text in desired way, clicking into the STYLE window in Word and entering a style name you wish.

Regards
Jerzy

Iza Szczypka  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Polish
+ ...
But ... Feb 27, 2006

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Never ever tried this, really?

Higlihght the text which font size you wish to change.
Then click INTO the font size window in Word and type the size you wish to have - you can enter an odd or even number, even 7,5 or something like that.

Jerzy, that's exactly the manual method he says he's fed up with. He seems to be seeking a method for enriching the drop-down list of available font sizes (which I do not know either, unfortunately)

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Indeed, I must have overseen that Feb 27, 2006

The other possibility is to select the text and decrease the size by pressing CTRL+8 (above the letter part of the keyboard, not in numeric pad) or increase the size by pressing CTRL+9 (above the letter part of the keyboard, not in numeric pad). Each time this shortcut is pressed, the font size is changed by one point.

But I do not know the method to change the dropdown list either.

Regards
Jerzy

xxxSanjiv Sadan
Local time: 18:34
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all of you for your wonderful suggestion. Feb 28, 2006

Ralf, could you tell me the procedure for the same?

Regards,

Sanjiv

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Sanjiv,
Why don't you define the required font size in the style you're using?

Best regards,
Ralf

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Standard Word function Feb 28, 2006

Hi Sanjiv,

Ralf, could you tell me the procedure for the same?

A bit difficult, as I have no idea which version of MS Word you're using (in particular, which language version).

Styles can be accessed via Format - Styles and formatting, however, if you're not familiar with paragraph formatting in Word, changing styles might result in formatting problems. What I would suggest is to study this part of Word functionality, e.g. in the Word help function.

Best regards,
Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The selection of odd size of a font in MS Word

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs