Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:03
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Mar 29, 2006

Okay,
Clients are sending me items in the source language, and I am editing/translating them in Openoffice.org.
When I finish my work and want to spell check, the software still thinks the document is in the source language, and won´t spellcheck in English.
Is there a way to edit the language setting on the document? The spellcheck dialogue allows me to choose a language, but it doesn´t ¨stick¨, in order to check the entire document. When the document tells me that ¨wooden¨ is a mispelling (because it´s still thinking in Portuguese, French or Spanish), and I tell it to check English, it okays ¨wooden¨, but then tells me that ¨tables and chairs¨ are all mispelled, too, reverting back to the source language, effectively rendering spellcheck useless.
Spellcheck would streamline my proofreading process a bit, so I would like it to work.
Suggestions?

This is Openoffice 1.7 on Fedora Linux 3.

Thanks,
Tony

Direct link Reply with quote

skport  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:03
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Try this Mar 29, 2006

Hi,

I am using Open Office 1.1.2 on Mac OS x 10.4, and this works for me:

Select TOOLS >OPTIONS>LANGUAGE SETTINGS>LANGUAGE

then change the 'default languages for documents' to the language you want. The spellchecker should now work fine.

See if it works in your version.

Wesley Krueger
United States
Local time: 19:03
Spanish to English
+ ...
Try changing the language option in the "Format"->"Character" dialog Mar 30, 2006

This works at least with Openoffice 2.0.

Select the "Character" option from the "Format" menu, and choose the "Font" tab in the dialog that appears. Below the font information you should find a choose box that will allow you to select the language.

You will probably have to select the entire body of text before changing the language setting, but that should allow you to spell check in the target language.

Again, this is for version 2.0, but it should be similar for your version.

Good Luck!
wesley

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 03:03
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
A few things to check Mar 30, 2006

Anthony Baldwin wrote:

Okay,
Clients are sending me items in the source language, and I am editing/translating them in Openoffice.org.
When I finish my work and want to spell check, the software still thinks the document is in the source language, and won´t spellcheck in English.
Is there a way to edit the language setting on the document? The spellcheck dialogue allows me to choose a language, but it doesn´t ¨stick¨, in order to check the entire document. When the document tells me that ¨wooden¨ is a mispelling (because it´s still thinking in Portuguese, French or Spanish), and I tell it to check English, it okays ¨wooden¨, but then tells me that ¨tables and chairs¨ are all mispelled, too, reverting back to the source language, effectively rendering spellcheck useless.
Spellcheck would streamline my proofreading process a bit, so I would like it to work.
Suggestions?

Thanks,
Tony

Hi Tony,

Do you have an English version of OpenOffice? Then the English spelling dictionary should be installed. But if it isn't, go to: File - Wizards - Install new dictionaries

After installing the dictionary, you need to restart OpenOffice completely, i.e. stop the QuickStarter , too, if one is used for OO.org on Fedora Linux.

If the dictionary is installed and it still does not work, select the whole document and then right-click , choose Character, and then on the Font tab choose the right language from the Language list box.

HTH

Piotr
P.S. 1.7 looks like a beta version. Consider upgrading to a "production" release. Now it is 2.0.2

Robert Tucker
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:03
German to English
+ ...
Styles Mar 30, 2006

The language can be set as part of a style which may be the most convenient way of creating the document with the translation.

See:

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?p=125694

for example.

Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:03
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
1.7 looks like a beta version Mar 30, 2006

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

Thanks,
Tony

Hi Tony,

Do you have an English version of OpenOffice?

Piotr
P.S. 1.7 looks like a beta version. Consider upgrading to a "production" release. Now it is 2.0.2 [/quote]

No...OO.o .641 was a beta version...And I remember using it.
That was about 5 years ago, if I recall correctly.
1.7 is only about a year old, now, I think.
Maybe it is time for me to update everything, incuding my fedora installation.
I´ve just been so busy, and haven´t wanted to interrupt my work.
It always takes me about a week to get everything satisfactorally configured after an upgrade, it seems...

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
OpenOffice wants to spell check source lang/ won´t do target Mar 30, 2006

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

....select the whole document and then right-click , choose Character, and then on the Font tab choose the right language from the Language list box.

Piotr may have a trick up his sleeve for selecting the whole document, but I find that the normal methods (Ctrl-A, selecting with the mouse) don't select all the text, but miss footers etc. My method:

Ctrl-F
In the "Search for" field, enter . (i.e. a full stop, for any character)
In the "Replace with" field, enter & (ampersand, for "same as" character)
Under "More Options", check "Regular Expressions"
Still under "More Options", Format > Language, and select the language you wish to spell-check in.
Then "Replace All"

Tips: first make sure that "Record changes" is not active!
Note that the regular expression and "Replace with" options are reset each time the dialog is opened.
If you're working in OmegaT, do this on the source file, not the target file, since the target file is overwritten each time you create the target documents (or "compile", as we used to call it).

Marc

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
Styles are better, but Mar 30, 2006

MarcPrior wrote:

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

....select the whole document and then right-click , choose Character, and then on the Font tab choose the right language from the Language list box.

Piotr may have a trick up his sleeve for selecting the whole document, (...)

Marc

Styles should be the default solution to control the attributes of the document, but sometimes the clients send us documents where styles do not exactly "cascade" all the way down, i.e. descendant styles do not inherit all attributes of the default style, or manual formatting is used.

So you could use CTRL+A for the body of the document, and modify styles for the headers and footers.

HTH

Piotr

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

OpenOffice wants to spell check source lang/ won´t do target

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums