Mobile menu

Straight quotes vs. smart quotes in MS Word
Thread poster: María Teresa Taylor Oliver

María Teresa Taylor Oliver  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 2, 2006

I'm using Word 2003, and the document I'm translating contains at least one quote (from a prominent historical character or a magazine article, for instance) in *every single* paragraph.

I'm going crazy because every time I type the opening quotation mark ("), if I delete a portion of the quote with the backspace key, type some more text, and then type the closing quotation mark, both marks revert to the straight quote style, instead of the round smart quotes. Argh!

It's become a nuisance. I checked in Tools > Autocorrect Options > Autoformat > Replace straight quotes with smart quotes, and the option was selected. I have both deselected it and reselected it again, and it continues to work crazily

Does someone know exactly how this option work? Is there a way to make ALL my quotation marks "smart" (rounded)?

Please help!

Direct link Reply with quote
pidzej  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:34
Polish to English
+ ...
"autoformat as you type" Apr 2, 2006

is what you need IMO, not plain "Autoformat" in Autocorrect.

Roman Bulkiewicz  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:34
Member (2004)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
I hate this autoformatting thing Apr 3, 2006

...that's why I turned it off and created my own key combinations for those "smart" quotes.
So, when I want a straight quote, I press ", when I need an opening quote I press Alt-Shift-, when I need a closing quote I press Alt-Shift-.

In the Word menu, go "Insert > Character", then select the character you want (e.g. an opening quote), press "Key combination" and enter such combination that will be convenient for you.

(Your menu item names may be different, since I am translating from the Russian version of Word.)

Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:34
Member (2007)
German to French
+ ...
I confirm this Apr 6, 2006

pidzej wrote:

is what you need IMO, not plain "Autoformat" in Autocorrect.
pidzej is right: be careful, there are 2 tabs in the Autocorrect options window, so don't forget to check/uncheck the option in BOTH tabs, otherwise it won't work

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Straight quotes vs. smart quotes in MS Word

Advanced search

Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs