Straight quotes vs. smart quotes in MS Word
Thread poster: María Teresa Taylor Oliver

María Teresa Taylor Oliver  Identity Verified
Panama
Local time: 18:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 2, 2006

I'm using Word 2003, and the document I'm translating contains at least one quote (from a prominent historical character or a magazine article, for instance) in *every single* paragraph.

I'm going crazy because every time I type the opening quotation mark ("), if I delete a portion of the quote with the backspace key, type some more text, and then type the closing quotation mark, both marks revert to the straight quote style, instead of the round smart quotes. Argh!

It's become a nuisance. I checked in Tools > Autocorrect Options > Autoformat > Replace straight quotes with smart quotes, and the option was selected. I have both deselected it and reselected it again, and it continues to work crazily

Does someone know exactly how this option work? Is there a way to make ALL my quotation marks "smart" (rounded)?

Please help!

Direct link Reply with quote

pidzej  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 01:14
Polish to English
+ ...
"autoformat as you type" Apr 2, 2006

is what you need IMO, not plain "Autoformat" in Autocorrect.

Roman Bulkiewicz  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 02:14
Member (2004)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
I hate this autoformatting thing Apr 3, 2006

...that's why I turned it off and created my own key combinations for those "smart" quotes.
So, when I want a straight quote, I press ", when I need an opening quote I press Alt-Shift-, when I need a closing quote I press Alt-Shift-.

In the Word menu, go "Insert > Character", then select the character you want (e.g. an opening quote), press "Key combination" and enter such combination that will be convenient for you.

(Your menu item names may be different, since I am translating from the Russian version of Word.)

Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:14
Member (2007)
German to French
+ ...
I confirm this Apr 6, 2006

pidzej wrote:

is what you need IMO, not plain "Autoformat" in Autocorrect.
pidzej is right: be careful, there are 2 tabs in the Autocorrect options window, so don't forget to check/uncheck the option in BOTH tabs, otherwise it won't work

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Straight quotes vs. smart quotes in MS Word

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs