https://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/45299-additional_features_in_ms_word_2003_in_comparison_with_ms_word_xp.html

Additional features in MS Word 2003 in comparison with MS Word XP
Thread poster: Sanjiv Sadan (X)
Sanjiv Sadan (X)
Sanjiv Sadan (X)
Local time: 07:47
English to Hindi
+ ...
Apr 19, 2006

I current use MS Word XP. I understand MS Word's 2003 version would have some additional features. Could you inform me about the main additional features which MS Word 2003 has in comparison with MS Word XP so that I can decide to upgrade.

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:17
Italian to English
+ ...
Office 12 Apr 19, 2006

Hi Sanjiv,
I don’t know about Word 2003 or XP, but the new version should be out sometime soon.

http://news.com.com/Microsoft%20rolls%20out%20first%20Office%2012%20beta/2100-1012_3-5956797.html

Trevor Butcher
Trevor Butcher
English
More info required Apr 19, 2006

Hi Sanjiv,

Have you been to www.microsoft.com and checked out the information their on their various versions of Word?

Programs like Word are complex things, and everyone uses them in different ways. It would help if you could give some information on what kind of uses or functions you are particularly interested in.

Trevor

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Read... Apr 19, 2006

http://www.microsoft.com/office/editions/prodinfo/faq.mspx

It doesn't say much, but the differences between the two versions are relatively minor.
Not worth the upgrade IMO, especially now, with Vista around the corner.

Pawel Skalinski

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Local time: 22:17
English
I hate 2003. Apr 22, 2006

I would rather stick needles in my eyes than use 2003. It has a horrible way of not fully assigning styles to text. For example, say you have some style name (call it StyleName) which calls for a font Galliard.

You have some text that's Times, in some other style called OtherStyle. Select it, even the entire paragraph and the pilcrow, and assign StyleName to it. Now, you may find that when your I-beam is in the text, the style name field says either StyleName+Times or OtherStyle+Ga
... See more
I would rather stick needles in my eyes than use 2003. It has a horrible way of not fully assigning styles to text. For example, say you have some style name (call it StyleName) which calls for a font Galliard.

You have some text that's Times, in some other style called OtherStyle. Select it, even the entire paragraph and the pilcrow, and assign StyleName to it. Now, you may find that when your I-beam is in the text, the style name field says either StyleName+Times or OtherStyle+Galliard. Following up with a Clear Styles has odd outcomes, but at least a Reset Character or Reset Paragraph command still works.

Were it not that I have my own computer with Word 2000 for Windows and Word 2004 for Mac, I think I'd jump out the window.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Additional features in MS Word 2003 in comparison with MS Word XP

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »