Transfer outlook from old to new computer
Thread poster: Elisabetta M.
Elisabetta M.  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:13
English to French
+ ...
Apr 24, 2006

Hello everybody,
I bought a brand new laptop and I would like to transfer my outlook files from the old desktop. (By the way I am still using office 97). I have installed Office on new computer. I have exported the old computer's outlook on a cd (pst file) and when I have tried to import this pst file from the CD into the new computer's outlook I have received an error message saying that I was denied access to the pst file containing my outlook files. All suggestions in English, french or italian are welcome! Thanks.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-04-24 11:33]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Did you set any passwords for the pst-file? Apr 24, 2006

When exporting, you are usually asked to create a password for the file. If you leave the fields blank, no password protection is created.

The other possibility is that you have created different user accounts. I use always the same user account on my different PCs mean the same login and password), so thus I did not have such problems. TBH I´m not sure if this is necessary, but it at least always has worked for me.

But I hope someone will have a good and reasonable solution for you.

Regards
Jerzy

Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
File protected? Apr 24, 2006

Elisabetta M. wrote:
I bought a brand new laptop and I would like to transfer my outlook files from the old desktop. (By the way I am still using office 97). I have installed Office on new computer. I have exported the old computer's outlook on a cd (pst file) and when I have tried to import this pst file from the CD into the new computer's outlook I have received an error message saying that I was denied access to the pst file containing my outlook files. All suggestions in English, french or italian are welcome! Thanks.

Is the file from the CD copy protected? This may stop Outlook from opening it.
I have Office 2000 and use Outlook for e-mails. I normally use it on the desktop, but occasionally on the laptop (mainly when travelling).
I have no problem transfering the PST file from one to the other (which I do via an external USB hard drive).
From time to time (like recently when I reinstalled Windows on the desktop, and every year or so on transferring the PST between desktop and laptop ), I allow Outlook to create a new PST file which I use from then on, but I put the old PST file in the same directory and give it a new name. Within Outlook I then select File>Open>PST to open the old file, and then give it a new name in the directory list by right clicking it and selecting "Properties" from the drop-down menu.
This means that my PST file doesn't get close to its maximum capacity (I seem to remember something like a 2 GB limit, or was it 1 GB?), but I still have all the old mails and details at my fingertips.
I don't know if Office 97 differs significantly from Office 2000; my experience is solely with Office 2000.

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Apr 24, 2006

Thank you Jerzy and Victor,
I was not asked for a password or did not insert any protection myself. What sounds strange to me is that if I am able to create a pst file it should mean the program exists somewhere in my computer. To be precise the error message I have is :"File access is denied. Y ou do not have the permission required to access the file F:\backup.pst." but it does not explain whether I need a password to access it or else.

Claudia Digel  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
The file is probably read-only Apr 24, 2006

Hi Elisabetta,

Normally, when you burn a .pst file onto a CD and copy it to a new computer it's marked as read-only and cannot be opened in Outlook. Check the properties of the file in Windows Explorer and remove the read-only flag. Afterwards you should be able to open it from within Outlook.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Claudia

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
it worked! Apr 24, 2006

Thank you everyone. It was indeed a read only problem. I solved it by copying the files on a usb device where it was not stored as read only. Have a nice day! Elisabetta

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transfer outlook from old to new computer

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums