word count
Thread poster: Maryam Moinzadeh
Maryam Moinzadeh  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:20
English to Farsi (Persian)
+ ...
Apr 27, 2006

Hi dear colleagues

How can I count the words in pdf format. Is there anyway that I can export the file to word and count the words there?

Direct link Reply with quote

Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:20
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Check other threads Apr 27, 2006

I notice you've just joined, so you may not know that you can search the forums to check whether they contain useful information in the event your question has been asked before.

A search for 'word count' and 'pdf' under technical issues will give you 27 different threads. A recent one referred to:

Good luck.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:20
English to French
+ ...
Export as text Apr 29, 2006

There's a simple way to do this.

There is a function in Acrobat Reader (under "File", I believe) that lets you export the text in a PDF (as long as the document is not locked for this function). This will create a .txt document, which can be opened in Notepad. You can take this text and paste it into whatever you like to use - most of us use Word. Once in Word, you can run Word's wordcount, or you can save the Word file and analyse it with Trados, SDLX or whatever else you use for counting the words.

Of course, this will only work with PDF files that contain text. If the PDF is actually a collection of scans or images that contain text, don't bother to try any way to count the text - there is no other way than retyping the whole thing, unless you have OCR software.

Hope this helps!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

word count

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs