Mobile menu

Arabic language suddenly appears in Word XP documents
Thread poster: gilkain
gilkain
Local time: 23:16
English to French
+ ...
Apr 28, 2006

I have quite a strange problem with some of my documents.

Although the text is in French, some portions of it are reported by Word to be in Arabic (Saudi Arabia).

When I select the entire document and change the language to French, it remains the same. I checked my XP and Office settings and Arabic support is not loaded.

The problem with this is that, as you read Arabic from right to left, when you try to bring a modification to a word or a sentence it does it the wrong way...

Has anyone seen this before ?

Direct link Reply with quote

Trevor Butcher
English
Setting the language Apr 28, 2006

Hi,

When you set the language, did you make sure that the top of the two check boxes below the language options was completely unchecked (i.e. no grey or black tick in it)?

You might find that the text started life either in Arabic, or the machine used was set to this option - probably because it was a computer in Saudi Arabia.

Trevor

davidgreen
German to English
you are possibly not really selecting ALL of the document Apr 28, 2006

My only guess about this is that you have footnotes, headers or picture objects/graphs that might have to be selected separately (and then change the language to French). When you've got the whole document selected with e.g. ctrl + a, scroll down and see if there's any text or graphs not selected. Good luck

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Export to RTF and pray the problem goes away Apr 28, 2006

it does not cost you an arm and a leg and it helps in some cases.

smo

xxxsarahl
Local time: 15:16
English to French
+ ...
special characters? Apr 28, 2006

It happened to me yesterday as I was trying to insert a special character, this client didn't like bullet points, had replaced them with assorted shapes. Well, I found one of those shapes in the symbols but Word decided I was writing in Arabic until I deleted it.

You should probably check the lines that Word decided were Arabic.

Barbara Micheletto
Italy
Russian to Italian
+ ...
Same here... Apr 28, 2006

yesterday as well. I too, like Sarahl, inserted a special character and found that immediately afterwards I was writing in Arabic! I understood that Word had automatically changed the font to "Symbols", but selecting the text and setting "Times New Roman" again did not help (as all the characters turned to small squares). So I returned to the point were I had inserted the symbol and deleted it, then went on writing my text and inserted the symbol again at the right point in the the text I had already written. I suggest you check the font of your document, or maybe look for strange settings using the "hidden text" option.
Hope this helps,
B.

gilkain
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all ! Apr 28, 2006

OK. I eventually found a work-around.

There is no doubt that the documents were created with a correct version of XP and Office. We are a well known international organization located in Brussels and Arabic is not one of our two official languages... And the security settings on our machines prevent us from changing anything to the standard approved configuration.

Anyway, after testing and testing and testing several things, I found out that saving the documents in RTF would fix the problem.

Thank you to those of you who made me think about that ! It does work !

Now, the question remains : why is it that Arabic characters suddenly appear in our documents ?????

Anyway, as long as we have a fix for it, we're happy !

Have all a nice week-end !

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
It could come from a DOT file Apr 28, 2006

Now, the question remains : why is it that Arabic characters suddenly appear in our documents ?????

Hi,

It could be that the "Arabic" setting comes from the template (dot file) which was used to create a document.

Imagine a user who has "Arabic" active in their Office settings creates a template file to be used for creating new documents. Any PC using creating documents with this dot file will have the Arabic language active.

It could be that the template was created by a vendor outside of your organisation and nobody noticed until now.

Daniel

Stressed
English
Same 'Arabic' problem here, too Jun 7, 2006

Hi,

the same problem occurred here about two weeks ago - interestingly, after updating from Translator's Workbench 6.5.2.417 to buid 419 (afterwards we uninstalled TW and re-installed build 417 - to no avail):

We work with Windows XP, MS Word 2002

1) initially, it occurred twice - two different documents from two different clients

2) what happens - it screws up brackets (naturally, given the Arabic context, it shows them the other way round)

3) Arabic language was not specified on neither our nor the clients' systems.

4) latest development - whenever a Word document is opened (Trados not opened) - Arabic is listed as one of the languages

5) language settings (MS Office XP tools) - we tried to change from "all scripts" to "Western European and US" - but it always shows "all scripts

6) Saving the documents in RTF does not really solve the problem when there are documents with tables in tables - the format will never be the same

Our IT brains suggest complete de- and new installation of Word and Trados...

Any further comments? Or maybe even help?

Thanks a lot!
Stressed

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Arabic language suddenly appears in Word XP documents

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs