Word 2003: Is it possible to batch replace with bullets?
Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 10:52
Spanish
+ ...
May 2, 2006

I have a document that my client sent me on the body of the email. It has a lot of bullet marks (• ) that I want to set as actual bullets. I can't find how to do that with the replace function. Does anybody know if this is possible? Thanks.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:52
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use styles May 2, 2006

Search for the bullet and replace it by blank (nothing), but formatted with a bullet style.
This should work.
Should it not work in this way, replace bullet without paragraph style with bullet having the proper paragraph style. This wil cause bulleted list with bullets in text. Then go and replace bullets by nothing - this works always.

HTH
Jerzy

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:52
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
One way you can do this May 2, 2006

In the search field insert the actual bullet mark used by your customer, followed by ^t (the symbol for "tab" - if the customer followed the bullet mark with a tab character) or simply on or more spaces (if that is what your customer used to separate the bullet mark from the following text.

In the replace field put a simple space, then click on the "More" button, then on the "Formatting" button, select "Style", then in the style drop down scroll until you find one of the bullet styl
... See more
In the search field insert the actual bullet mark used by your customer, followed by ^t (the symbol for "tab" - if the customer followed the bullet mark with a tab character) or simply on or more spaces (if that is what your customer used to separate the bullet mark from the following text.

In the replace field put a simple space, then click on the "More" button, then on the "Formatting" button, select "Style", then in the style drop down scroll until you find one of the bullet styles (e.g. "List Bullet", List Bullet 2", etc.).

Finally, (after you have thus formatted the bullet lists), you need to remove the space inserted with the first replace operation:

In the search field enter " ^p" (i.e., a space followed by ^p - the symbol for the paragraph mark), in the replace field "^p" (^p without the preceding space), click on the "no formatting" button, and run the replace operation.

This should do it.

One last thing: do these operations on a copy of your file, so that if something goes amiss no harm done.
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 18:52
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Select the paragraphs you want to format May 3, 2006

and click in the toolbar the symbol with the three bullets. Word will put a bullet in front of each paragraph. Later you can select a special bullet from the list after right clicking on one of the bullets. Changes are applied to the paragraphs selected.
Regards
Heinrich

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Local time: 11:52
English
The body? Or an attachment? May 3, 2006

The original post said, "a document that my client sent me on the body of the email."

If this really is the body, not an attachment, and you can't select bullets, then it could be HTML, or, it could be rich text.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 10:52
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 18, 2006

Sorry it took me this long to reply to this message. Thanks to everybody.

Claudia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word 2003: Is it possible to batch replace with bullets?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »