Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 15:34
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
May 3, 2006

Hello.

I am curious to know translators' opinions on WhiteSmoke. Does it help you produce a smoother translation, or does it just clutter your mind with needless words?

Are there any other programs out there like WhiteSmoke worth trying?

TIA

Reed

Sarah Downing
Sarah Downing  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
WhiteSmoke Review May 4, 2006

You might find this of interest. I had never heard of WhiteSmoke, so I did a quick google search to find out what it is and got this rather detailed review - you might find some other ones too. This one is unfortunately rather negative, but at least it addresses the program in detail and even mentions an alternative at the end. "BullFighter", I thi... See more
You might find this of interest. I had never heard of WhiteSmoke, so I did a quick google search to find out what it is and got this rather detailed review - you might find some other ones too. This one is unfortunately rather negative, but at least it addresses the program in detail and even mentions an alternative at the end. "BullFighter", I think it's called.

http://www.meryl.net/articles/archives/003719.php

Best,

Sarah
Collapse

Mariusz Kuklinski
Mariusz Kuklinski  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:34
English to Polish
+ ...
Are there any other programs out there like WhiteSmoke worth trying? May 4, 2006

Reed D. James wrote:

Hello.

I am curious to know translators' opinions on WhiteSmoke. Does it help you produce a smoother translation, or does it just clutter your mind with needless words?

TIA

Reed

I uninstalled it after a trial run. It is strong on vocabulary which happens to be my strong point too, completely fails, however, on the nuances of grammar, though it is a generic problem, drawing back on the logical issues with natural languages (see Godel). I tried several other programs, none of them, in my opinion, is worth the money.

maguireb
maguireb
English
I recommend Correct English May 14, 2007

I previously bought whitesmoke and was ashamed I bought and wasted my money.

I recently beta tested a very good product called Correct English http://www.correctenglish.com

This product is high quality stuff. It finds a lot of things that Word does not find and has some very useful features such as WordChoice and feedback in your native language. You get feedback on your Engl
... See more
I previously bought whitesmoke and was ashamed I bought and wasted my money.

I recently beta tested a very good product called Correct English http://www.correctenglish.com

This product is high quality stuff. It finds a lot of things that Word does not find and has some very useful features such as WordChoice and feedback in your native language. You get feedback on your English in French, Chinese, German, and a few others. I recommend it.

[Edited at 2007-05-14 01:52]
Collapse

Sue Maatz
Sue Maatz  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:34
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
AbiWord Feb 7, 2008

I have just found this free little program and it seems to work very well. I recently had a customer complaint and was looking for a program to find grammatical errors that a normal spellcheck cannot find.

You can download it here: http://www.abisource.com/
It also has an impressive number of dictionaries.

I tried it for English but have not tried another language yet.

Martin Wenzel
Martin Wenzel
Germany
Local time: 21:34
English to German
+ ...
German spell checker you can forget Jul 31, 2008

I downloaded the program just to see if the spell checker is ok.

The English dictionary picked up the same mistakes as MS Word, the German spell checker suggestions you can honestly forget...

Martin

Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Special offer on WhiteSmoke exclusively for ProZ.com Users Oct 7, 2008

Hello everyone - please take a look at a new exclusive offer on WhiteSmoke productss just for proz.com users here - http://www.proz.com/?sp=proz_store&mode=whitesmoke

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WhiteSmoke and other English language editors

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »