Viewing embedded diagrams
Thread poster: Armorel Young
Armorel Young
Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:56
German to English
May 16, 2006

I'm using Windows XP and MS Office 97. The Word documents I receive from one client often include charts and diagrams among the text. When I receive the document all the charts are visible on screen. However, when I right-click a diagram so that I can edit its text and then close the diagram again, the diagram from then on only shows up in the document as the words
{EMBED Word.Picture.8). The diagram itself is invisible - it shows up in print preview and it prints out properly, but it doe
... See more
I'm using Windows XP and MS Office 97. The Word documents I receive from one client often include charts and diagrams among the text. When I receive the document all the charts are visible on screen. However, when I right-click a diagram so that I can edit its text and then close the diagram again, the diagram from then on only shows up in the document as the words
{EMBED Word.Picture.8). The diagram itself is invisible - it shows up in print preview and it prints out properly, but it doesn't show in any of the "View" options (even though I have ticked "View drawings" under the "options" tab). Since the document came to me with all the diagrams visible, I would like to send it back in the same form, and would like to be able to view the diagrams on-screen for proof-reading, but nothing I have tried has been able to make this possible. Any ideas?
Collapse

Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:56
Italian to English
+ ...
graphic progamme used? May 16, 2006

Do you know what programme the diagrams are made with?
Can you right-click on the diagram and save it on your PC, then insert the translation?
You can do this if it's an Excel chart, or Power Point....

Armorel Young wrote:

{EMBED Word.Picture.8). The diagram itself is invisible - it shows up in print preview and it prints out properly, but it doesn't show in any of the "View" options (even though I have ticked "View drawings" under the "options" tab). Since the document came to me with all the diagrams visible, I would like to send it back in the same form, and would like to be able to view the diagrams on-screen for proof-reading, but nothing I have tried has been able to make this possible. Any ideas?

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
Local time: 01:56
English to German
Picture Placeholders option May 16, 2006

Hi Armorel,

when something looks like that, you can try: Tools > Options > View > disable "Picture Placeholders" and/or "Field Codes".

Hope that helps, I am working with a different Word version, but the general direction is the same.

Ricki

Armorel Young
Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:56
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, that works May 16, 2006

Brilliant - that's the answer I've been looking for for so long! "Picture placeholders" was already disabled (i.e. not ticked) but "Fields Codes" wasn't, and clearing the Field Codes box has achieved the result I wanted.

Very many thanks.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Viewing embedded diagrams

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »