Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 03:35
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Jun 2, 2006

Yesterday I recieved a Word-file, which on opening displays the Visual Basic message: File not found. When I click OK the file opens, but I cannot save it under a new name.
Part of it are in the target language already. When I copy these parts into a new empty document the text changes to a bilingual document (changes = translations are made visible like when having the option "track changes" selected). When I display it in normal view I see the source text in "strike through" and the target text underlined, but I cannot remove the source text automatically.
Any idea how I could fix the document so that I get only the target text. I can load the file into OpenOffice and save it from there, but I would like to know if there is a funktion in Word 2002 that would fix the document.

Regards

Heinrich

Direct link Reply with quote

Aida Alvarez  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:35
English to Spanish
Try this Jun 2, 2006

Please try the following:

Open the document.

Go to View.

Click on Markup

That should eliminate the problem.

PCovs
Denmark
Local time: 02:35
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
I have tried smething very similar once... Jun 2, 2006

...and the client had to fix the document at their end.

I saw over half the document with strikes through the source words. No matter what I did, which application I used for opening, it just wouldn't show properly. In fact it seemed to get worse each time I tried something else.

In the end I gave up and informed the client that their file was corrupted.
Actually, I have no idea how this was fixed at their end.

Best of luck.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 03:35
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Markup only toggles the changes into view Jun 2, 2006

but I cannot save the file under another name.
But as I stated, OpenOffice has no problem. Strange indeed.
Regards
Heinrich

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interesting Word-document

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search