Mobile menu

TOC driving me crazy (Trados related issue?)
Thread poster: Clarisa Moraña

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 13:47
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 4, 2006

Hi, all

I'm working in 50 pages Word file that is driving me crazy when I try to update the TOC (Table of Content).

I'm working with
Word MS Office 98 (Spanish version) + Trados Workbench 6.5 + Windows XP

After translating the file as usual, I insert the cursor in the old TOC and press F9 to update it. An error message appears saying: "No se encontraron elementos de tabla de contenidos" (something like No TOC entries found).

I tried to strip unusued fonts with Trados, to copy and paste the TOC tagged entries. Nothing works. This is taking me much more time than the translation itself

Any help?

Regards

Clarisa

Direct link Reply with quote

Robert Zawadzki  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:47
English to Polish
+ ...
TOC is build based on styles and TRADOS can make a mess out of them Jun 4, 2006

Send me the file and I'll see what can be done.

[Edited at 2006-06-04 16:37]

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
How was the original TOC constructed? Jun 4, 2006

I mean, either by TOC fields or derived from the heading styles...

Anyway, if you have proper heading styles in the translated document, you can delete the old TOC and simply create a new opne (using as many heading levels as the old one), and approximating the original "appearance" (there is a good chance your customer used one of the preset TOC styles; if yes, it is enough to identify which one).

HTH

Antonin

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Antonin has said almost everything Jun 4, 2006

Very likely your doc was created with english version of Word, so Word is looking for "Paragraph header" styles, while in your Word version the spanish name might be used.
Simply create a complete new TOC, using the style names in your document.
To do so use the proper menu "TOC and indexes" (or similar, I´m basing on german Word), then select "Create from styles", stelect the styles you need and that´s all.

Or send me the file, and I´ll do that for you.

Regards
Jerzy

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 13:47
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Robert solved me the problem, Antonin and Jerzy were right Jun 4, 2006

Dear All

Robert created a new TOC and modified the styles of the text (old same problem: the client made the changes manually, not using the styles chart).

Thanks for your prompt help

CLARISA WITH A BIG SMILE

Regards

Clarisa

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 19:47
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
The next time I would leave the old TOC Jun 5, 2006

If the customer did not format the file properly he cannot expect the translator doing it, at least not without extra charge.
Regards
Heinrich

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
I don't think it's that simple, Heinrich Jun 5, 2006

The customer may have a "manual TOC" for specific reasons (even though most often the reason is that they do not know about the "autmatic TOC") - I do not think the translator can "order" the customers about what methods they should use for creating their TOC or charge them extra because they did not use an automatic method the translator prefers...

Antonin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TOC driving me crazy (Trados related issue?)

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs