Can't open one Powerpoint file of several
Thread poster: Anne Koth

Anne Koth  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:10
German to English
Jun 9, 2006

Hi,

I'm not very familiar with Powerpoint and have several Powerpoint files, one of which will not open. It opens in the Powerpoint Viewer, though. It was created in Office 97 and I have Office 2003 and Windows XP. Does anyone know of any common yet simple problems that might be causing this to happen?

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I had exactly the same problem Jun 9, 2006

Anne Koth wrote:
I'm not very familiar with Powerpoint and have several Powerpoint files, one of which will not open. It opens in the Powerpoint Viewer, though.

Today I had exactly the same problem. A large PP file wouldn't open in PP2000 or in PPViewer 2003, but the error message hinted that I should try PPViewer97, which worked. However, you can only view the slides with it (and do screen captures, of course).

I'd say, tell the client that the one PP file won't open. Tell him that you'll be willing to translate the slides but the translation will have to be in plaintext. Then capture screenshots of the PP presentation's slides, OCR it and translate it.

Kathi Stock  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:10
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Try with Office 2000 Jun 9, 2006

If you still have Office 2000, try to open this file with this program. I know there are problems to open versions of Powerpoint in Office 2003, if the document was created with an older version.

The funny thing is, if you have Office Professional, the problem does not exist there.

Kathi

Anne Koth  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 9, 2006

It was the age difference; they sent it in Powerpoint 2003 and it opens fine. It's odd, as the other were also in the 97 version, it was only one file I had a problem with.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't open one Powerpoint file of several

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums