Word does not create hyperlinks etc.
Thread poster: Jonathan Widell
Jonathan Widell  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:36
Member (2003)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Jun 10, 2006

I was working with a number of technically knotty files, and a curious thing happened. Now my Word application cannot create a hyperlink. Instead, it just tells me what the command is:

Similarly, the Word application does not form checkboxes or merge fields. Instead, it just tells me what the commands are:

Does anybody know how to fix this bug?

Direct link Reply with quote

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:36
Italian to English
Shift+F9 Jun 10, 2006

Hi Jonathan,

It sounds as if Word is visualising the field codes.

Try highlighting the string and toggling the command with Shift+F9. It should restore the normal visualisation. You can of course select the whole document to toggle all the field codes at once.

BTW, the links will work in either mode.

[Edited at 2006-06-10 12:42]

Mohamed Kamel  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:36
English to Arabic
+ ...
Thank you, it worked! Apr 12, 2011

Although this is a very old thread, I found it very helpful for me as I had the same problem and was about to post a new thread about it, then I chose to search the forum for it and I found this post. What made me post here and that Jonathan didn't thank Jiles even with one word. So, I'm here to thank Jiles Watson very much for his post.

Thank you Jiles for your post.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word does not create hyperlinks etc.

Advanced search

Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs