Formatting page length in MS Word
Thread poster: Heather Chinchilla

Heather Chinchilla
United States
Local time: 09:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 10, 2006

Hello, I’m hoping someone can help me with formatting the page lengths on MS Word. I have Windows XP Professional, but I forgot how to check which version of MS Word I have.

I’m translating a legal document that is, of course, on legal sized paper. In order for my translation and room for the blurb about how I’m fluent in both languages and it’s a true translation... and the notary public’s seal, etc., I’m going to have to reduce font size and/or the space between lines.

Last time I did it the hard way: printing, editing, printing, editing... until I finally got it all on one page and had some extra space to have it notarized. Had this been a letter sized document, it wouldn’t have been a problem, as I can see on my screen where the page ends. Is there any way to change the settings so I can see on my screen where the page ends for a legal sized document?

It’s such a small detail, but it would make life sooooo much easier! Thanks in advance!

Direct link Reply with quote

Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
Page Setup Jun 10, 2006

Hi Heather,

When you open an MS Word document, a window should pop up with info about the MS Word version you have.

As for changing the format, try opening up a Word document, then go to File > Page Setup and under Paper Size scroll down to "Legal". I've never used this function so I'm not 100% sure. Let us know if this did the trick

Susana

Heather Chinchilla
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Susana, it worked! Jun 10, 2006

Thank you Susana, that worked! It's one of those things that I could spend all day on. Then when someone shows me how to do it, it seems incredibly easy in hindsight,LOL!

The only reason I mentioned not knowing which version of MS Word I have was just incase that would help someone to tell me how to do the page formatting. It does show up when I open a document, but it's so fast that I can't read it!

Thanks again for your help!

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
here's another way Jun 10, 2006

Heather Chinchilla wrote:
The only reason I mentioned not knowing which version of MS Word I have was just incase that would help someone to tell me how to do the page formatting. It does show up when I open a document, but it's so fast that I can't read it!

Not that it matters in this case, but from the open Word document you can go to Help > About Microsoft Word, and a window should open with the version of Word appearing on the first line.

Glad the formatting tip worked

Susana

Heather Chinchilla
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That worked too, thanks! Jun 10, 2006

That worked too, so thanks again! I have MS Word 2002. It doesn't matter so much now, but it's good to know for next time!

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
glad to be of help Jun 10, 2006

That worked too, so thanks again! I have MS Word 2002. It doesn't matter so much now, but it's good to know for next time!

You're very welcome. I didn't know these tricks myself until I tried to figure them out to answer your question, so we both learned something today

Susana

Heather Chinchilla
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's good, now we'll both know for next time! Jun 10, 2006

Thanks again, I'll think of you every time I translate a legal document!

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
thanks...I think ;) Jun 11, 2006

Thanks again, I'll think of you every time I translate a legal document!

Oh my, here's hoping that's a good thing

All best,

Susana

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:01
German to Spanish
A helpful function Jun 11, 2006

Last time I did it the hard way: printing, editing, printing, editing... until I finally got it all on one page

In File menu go to "Vista preliminar" (my version is spanish), something like Print preview, there is a button named "reducir hasta ajustar" -> fit to page.

Regards

[Bearbeitet am 2006-06-11 17:25]

Heather Chinchilla
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Fenando Jun 11, 2006

Hi Feranando
Gracias por su ayuda, ¡muy amable! I can use all the help and "tricks" I can get!

Claudia Aguero  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Local time: 07:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
Check the size of the legal page Jun 12, 2006

We use "legal" size paper that is 8,5"x13", what differs from the ones used in other countries.

My advice is to check the page size used in the original document. go to edit-page setup-page size. In this dialogue box you can also chheck the margins used in the original document.

If your translation is into Spanish and you have problems with space, I would advice you to change spacing. Go to format-paragraph-spacing-exact. I use 20 points to write 30 lines in a 8,5"x11" page.

Good luck!

Heather Chinchilla
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What are points? Jun 12, 2006

Hi Claudia and thank you for your tips. I sometimes change the spacing between the lines from 1 to 1 and 1/2 or 2, but I'm not sure what "points" are. Could you explain it to me, please?

Marion Lurf  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:01
English to German
+ ...
points (pt) = unit Jun 12, 2006

Hi Heather,

Claudia refers to the measurement Word uses for spacing and other things - maybe (if it is possible at all) you are using centimetres, inches or yet something else instead of points. (You can change this setting in options/general. Even though mine is set to cm, the spacing between paragraphs is still in pt, so just check in your version of Word.)

All the best,
Marion

Heather Chinchilla
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll use it when I'm ready to format Jun 12, 2006

Thank you Mario, I'll play with it when I finish my translation and am ready to format it!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Formatting page length in MS Word

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs