Thread poster: Estefanía González

Estefanía González  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 12, 2006

Hi everyone,

I have added some hyperlinks to a couple of word files that I have saved as a website.

The links work if the files are opened with Word (2003) or Internet Explorer. However, if the files are opened with Mozilla Firefox (version 1.5.0.4) they don’t.

Thanks for your help!

Estefanía

Direct link Reply with quote

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:07
English to German
+ ...
What happens to the links? Jun 12, 2006

Could you specify what happens to the links when they are opened with Firefox, in contrast to IE?

How do they change?

Sonja

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Link behaviour in Mozilla Jun 12, 2006

Hi Sonja,

The thing is that when I click on Mozilla nothing happens. It is as though I were clicking on simple text without any link whatsoever. With Explorer everything works properly, I click on the link and I am diverted to the linked page.

Thanks for your help,

Estefanía

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Provide HTML Jun 12, 2006

The best would be to take a look at the HTML code.

If I understood you correctly, you created HTML pages from Word documents. I have never done that, but I can imagine that Word has its own way of creating links, and that IE will naturally be able to open them.

If they are some sort of MS HTML and not HTML compliant, then Firefox has all rights not to open them. I would go for the source code and see if you have to fix it manually.

Sonja

xxxtlmurray
Local time: 11:07
English
Word is afwul, but it should work Jun 12, 2006

Word creates absolutely awful HTML. It's overly complex, typically noncompliant, and heavily dependent on using IE as the browser.

But that said, plain links are usually just fine, with generic "a href=" and all that. What does the actual code say?

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
HTML Code Jun 12, 2006

Hi again,

Here you are an example of the HTML code:

href="../../../../../Eigene%20Dateien/Traducción/Fanis%20Website/DE/Austattung.htm">

Any suggestions on how to solve the problem are more than welcome

Thanks again!

Estefanía

Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
I may be wrong, .... Jun 12, 2006

Estefanía González wrote:
href="../../../../../Eigene%20Dateien/Traducción/Fanis%20Website/DE/Austattung.htm">
Estefanía

... but to me it looks as if the reference is to where the file is on your own hard disk (Eigene Dateien = My Files, I believe).
If I am right, the reference would work on your computer, but not on the Internet.
I don't know whether Word offers you the tools to correct the references. I did my website with good old Netscape, and there was an option there (I think it was something to do with using relative paths rather than absolute paths in the hyperlinks). I still managed to get it wrong in some cases, but at least most of my hyperlinks seem to work.

Perhaps someone with a better grasp of HTML can explain things better.

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
yes Jun 12, 2006

Victor Dewsbery wrote:

Estefanía González wrote:
Estefanía

... but to me it looks as if the reference is to where the file is on your own hard disk (Eigene Dateien = My Files, I believe).
If I am right, the reference would work on your computer, but not on the Internet.

that is a hyperlink a link to a file in your PC.

I have tried to do the same, also, open a new doc, put a hyperlink inside and save it as html (not filtered), then I open it with IE and with Firefox 1.5.04

No problem!

So I don't know where can be the problem

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It has worked with other files... Jun 12, 2006

Hi again,

I have managed to create a hyperlink in a couple of new files created with Word and it also worked in Firefox too.

However, the pages I want to link with each other do not work yet.

Do you think that if I edit the links with another program it will work?

The files I want to create were at the beginning edited with MS Publisher 2003. Afterwards I carried on the editing in Word and saved as .hmtl.

Do you think this could be the origin of the problem?

Thanks again.

Estefanía

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with hyperlinks and Mozilla Firefox

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs