https://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/49605-word_2007_beta%3A_bad_payers_beware.html

Word 2007 (Beta): Bad payers beware!!!
Thread poster: Williamson
Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:39
Flemish to English
+ ...
Jun 17, 2006

Word 2007 has version a nice feature:

"If you go to "Review">Protect Document>Editing Restrictions, you can allow a reviewer to edit comments and indicate his/her remarks, but to be able to modify the document as a whole, he or she will need the password, you entered to encrypt the document...

That means that a bad payer can see what he or she buys, can add his/her remarks, but cannot change the document as a whole until you give him/her the passwords.

I
... See more
Word 2007 has version a nice feature:

"If you go to "Review">Protect Document>Editing Restrictions, you can allow a reviewer to edit comments and indicate his/her remarks, but to be able to modify the document as a whole, he or she will need the password, you entered to encrypt the document...

That means that a bad payer can see what he or she buys, can add his/her remarks, but cannot change the document as a whole until you give him/her the passwords.

I know, how unethical. However, how unethical to pay say half a month after a convened payment date.

Furthermore, there is an automatic word counter, without spaces... .

The interface is more look and feel. You don't have to know so many functions by heart.... Just click one of the main functions and the subfunctions appear as icons...

Should anybody know other useful functions???

[Edited at 2006-06-17 10:37]
Collapse

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:39
English to Polish
+ ...
Well, you could always print to PDF Jun 17, 2006

Even using one of free drivers. And even restrict copying contents to clipboard.

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
ok, not always, but for a long time Jun 17, 2006

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
... Jun 18, 2006

Why would you accept work from a known bad payer? Or why would you demonstrate such a lack of trust in a new client?

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
... Jun 18, 2006

Why would you accept work from a known bad payer? Alternatively, what is the point of demonstrating such a lack of trust in a new client?

As for the PDF suggestion - well that's a good way to lose a client, to send a file in a format other than the one they asked for.

Williamson
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reminder Jun 18, 2006

Why? Risk-containment: This features offers the possibility for the intermediairy/reviewer to evaluate what he or she buys, give his or her comment, but the document itself can not be modified.
--
In the past, an agency who owed me, kept on calling.
Who does not want to give a late payer a second chance, but diminish the risks?
I would not use it for a new client or for one who has paid on time in the past. For those where you have to keep chasing your money and who sti
... See more
Why? Risk-containment: This features offers the possibility for the intermediairy/reviewer to evaluate what he or she buys, give his or her comment, but the document itself can not be modified.
--
In the past, an agency who owed me, kept on calling.
I would not use it for a new client or for one who has paid on time in the past. For those where you have to keep chasing your money and who still call you back, it is an excellent reminder that they have to pay as convened.

[Edited at 2006-06-18 12:40]
Collapse

Katarina Andersson
Katarina Andersson  Identity Verified
Italian to Swedish
+ ...
Great! Jun 18, 2006

This seems like a great feature. Even though of course a bit unethical, but as you said it is also highly unethical not to pay on time for translations delivered on time.

Then Angela, you do not always know before hand that a client or agency is a bad payer, but when you end up in situations as I unfortunately did some time ago where the agency continually neglects to pay on time and always find excuses for delaying the payment, and in the end make up stories about bad translations
... See more
This seems like a great feature. Even though of course a bit unethical, but as you said it is also highly unethical not to pay on time for translations delivered on time.

Then Angela, you do not always know before hand that a client or agency is a bad payer, but when you end up in situations as I unfortunately did some time ago where the agency continually neglects to pay on time and always find excuses for delaying the payment, and in the end make up stories about bad translations done in a distant past thus not needing to pay present invoices, then you happily would have wanted to use this feature...

Cheers,

Katarina.
Collapse

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:39
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Totally unethical Jun 19, 2006

Williamson wrote:

If tehy are known late payers, just don't deal with them. Your suggestion of sending a translation password protected until they pay is unethical unless you agree in advance with the customer that you are doing so.

Williamson
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Passe-par-tout word Jun 21, 2006

I don't care about the passe-par-tout word called "ethics". In normal business, if you don't know/trust a party to a contract, you draw up an (international) letter of credit.

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
French to English
+ ...
Are you referring to test translations? Jun 30, 2006

I assume you must be referring to test translations? Otherwise, how can the corrector (good agencies should always send work to a corrector) make any changes?

Williamson
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No test translations. Jul 1, 2006

I am not referring to test translations. The corrector can make his remarks and the translator can agree with them or discuss them with the corrector. Some correctors see/seek mistakes that are not there. In the end, it will be the translator, who makes the final corrections.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word 2007 (Beta): Bad payers beware!!!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »