Can I create a shortcut to change document language?
Thread poster: Armorel Young
Armorel Young
Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:33
German to English
Jun 18, 2006

I often find that I need to change the language defined in Word for the document I am working on (e.g. documents supplied by clients will be in my source language and if I overwrite them I need to change the set language to UK English). I use the Tools - Set language - Language - Mark selected text as ... sequence so often that I find it tedious and would like to work out a quicker way of doing it. By following the instructions for creating keyboard shortcuts in Word I can define a keyboard sho... See more
I often find that I need to change the language defined in Word for the document I am working on (e.g. documents supplied by clients will be in my source language and if I overwrite them I need to change the set language to UK English). I use the Tools - Set language - Language - Mark selected text as ... sequence so often that I find it tedious and would like to work out a quicker way of doing it. By following the instructions for creating keyboard shortcuts in Word I can define a keyboard shortcut which brings up the "Mark selected text as ..." box, but then I still have to scroll through the box to highlight and select "UK English". Isn't there a way of telling the computer that UK English is the language I want to select? I am not very familiar with macros, but my brief foray into trying to create one has ended at the same point - I can bring up the "Mark selected text as ..." box but I still have to scroll through that box every time to find the "English" option.Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:33
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Use a macro, and make it a button Jun 18, 2006

Armorel Young wrote:
Isn't there a way of telling the computer that UK English is the language I want to select?

Record a macro, and then link the macro to a button, and add the button to normal.dot. It took me 10 seconds to record the following macro:

Sub Macro1()
'
' Macro1 Macro
' Macro recorded 2006-06-18 by Samuel Murray
'
Selection.WholeStory
Selection.LanguageID = wdGermanLuxembourg
Selection.NoProofing = False
Application.CheckLanguage = False
Selection.HomeKey Unit:=wdLine
End Sub

Linking it to a button is done by right-clicking the toolbars and customising. On my computer, any macro that isn't specifically specified as belonging to a different template, is automatically added to normal.dot.

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Local time: 02:33
English
Also, use keyboard instead of mouse Jun 18, 2006

Alt+T L L (case doesn't matter) will get to that dialog box. Once there, you can type the initial letters, such as f-r-e for French.

You will be slowed down by multiple instances of the same language. For example, there are 13 English entries, and Word stops at the first one. (On a related note, I would like to know how to remove languages I will never use.)

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
On my computer... Jun 18, 2006

tlmurray wrote:
On a related note, I would like to know how to remove languages I will never use.

On my version of MS Word (2000), the languages for which I have a spell-checker installed, are displayed at the top of the list. Is this not so in newer versions of MS Word?

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Not quite so Jun 18, 2006

Samuel Murray wrote:

tlmurray wrote:
On a related note, I would like to know how to remove languages I will never use.

On my version of MS Word (2000), the languages for which I have a spell-checker installed, are displayed at the top of the list. Is this not so in newer versions of MS Word?

The languages on top of the list are those you used most recently, but you cannot delete them with this list.
To delete languages you´ll never need you will need to use the installation CD of MS Proofing Tool Kit to modify your installation. Usually after inserting the CD a setup assisten starts and offers you the option of modifying.

Regards
Jerzy

Armorel Young
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
In Word 97 ... Jun 18, 2006

which is what I'm using, the languages are in alphabetical order which doesn't change (and as tlmurray points, out there are 13 varieties of English, so the one I want is well hidden in the middle of the list).

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Different code for Word 97 Jun 18, 2006

I believe that the VBA code for Word 97 must be different from the macro shown above, whuch will work for W2000 or later. Unfortunately, I have not been using W97 for a long time and do not remember that "old dialect" of Visual Basic anymore.

Since one does not change the language of the selection that often, I vote for a button, not a keyboard shortcut here. On my Word toolbars, I have a button for each of the options I use most often (UK, US, CZ) and I am happy with that arrange
... See more
I believe that the VBA code for Word 97 must be different from the macro shown above, whuch will work for W2000 or later. Unfortunately, I have not been using W97 for a long time and do not remember that "old dialect" of Visual Basic anymore.

Since one does not change the language of the selection that often, I vote for a button, not a keyboard shortcut here. On my Word toolbars, I have a button for each of the options I use most often (UK, US, CZ) and I am happy with that arrangement.

HTH

Antonin
Collapse

Armorel Young
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
I could do with more detail Jun 19, 2006

I still haven't found anything that works in Word 97. Antonin - you make it sound so simple but how do you actually get a language button onto the Word toolbar?

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
It has really been a long time since W97 for me Jun 19, 2006

(1) I believe you can find the command for language setting of a selection in Visual Basic help of your Word 97.

(2) I can describe how to create buttons in Word 2000-2003, but I really can't recall whether W97 uses this procedure or something like Word 6. Perhaps one of active Word 97 users could tell us?

Antonin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I create a shortcut to change document language?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »