PowerPoint -- urgent help required!
Thread poster: Tony M

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:59
French to English
+ ...
Jul 14, 2006

In MS PowerPoint (Office 2003 / XP), I have a problem that I don't know how to solve!

A presentation has been created based on a master template slide, which puts some kind of text footer on every slide the same (except the very first one)

For my translation, I need to edit this text, but I can't find out how to get into it. I've tried various things like 'header/footer', but nothing so far has actually allowed me to access this text in order to edit it.

Also, given that every slide consists of one or more 'text boxes', is there any way to GLOBALLY change the entire presentation langauge over to English, instead of having to do it laboriously one text box at a time?

TIA for any help you can give!

[Edited at 2006-07-14 10:08]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Accessing the slide master Jul 14, 2006

Hi Tony,
I use the German version, so the commands may not match 100%:

View - Master - Slide master

HTH, Ralf

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks, that's solved the 'slide master' part of my problem Jul 14, 2006

Ralf Lemster wrote:

I use the German version, so the commands may not match 100%:

View - Master - Slide master

Thanks a lot, Ralf --- that was just the information I needed; in fact, in my French version, it is called a 'masque', which is what was really confusing me!

[Edited at 2006-07-14 11:00]

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Export the text to RTF... Jul 14, 2006

Tony -Dusty- wrote:

Also, given that every slide consists of one or more 'text boxes'...

I don't know how text boxes are coverted, but it's worth a try.

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:59
French to English
Slide per slide solution Jul 14, 2006

To change the language for an entire slide, you can do Edit - Select All (at which point all text boxes should be "selected" - grey border - on that slide) and then Tools - Select Language (or whatever it's called) which should change the lang for all boxes on that slide. Still a bit of a pain tho'....

Andy Watkinson
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Speeding things up Jul 14, 2006

Hi Tony,

In order to speed up Charlie's solution, you can do the following.

(My PowerPoint is in Spanish - so the terms may differ).

You can "personalise" the toolbar (or whatever it's called) at the top of each slide to add a "Select All" button and a "Language" button.

Then the sequence is simply "Select All" - "Language" - Click on English, and that's it.

3 clicks.

I don't know of any other way of doing it.

If you happen to get a PPT without text boxes on each slide, just the text itself, you can use "View" -> "Restore Panes" -> "Select All" "Language" - and that will change the language for the entire document.

HTH

Andy.

xxxIanW
German to English
+ ...
Turn the spell-check off Jul 14, 2006

Hi Tony,

I regularly have to contend with 100-slide PowerPoint presentations and what I do is to turn off the spell-check, convert the PPT to a PDF and then copy it in one fell swoop into Word, where I do a spell check. Not very sophisticated, but far less time-consuming than Charlie's suggestion, which is the best way to do it "properly".

Incidentally, if you do opt for the latter, using CTRL-Y is a good way to call up the list of languages repeatedly and if you type in "D" it'll take you near enough to "English (UK)" and if you type in "F" it'll take you near enough to "English (US)".

Hope that makes sense

Ian

[Edited at 2006-07-14 20:23]

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can you then convert back again? Jul 14, 2006

Ian Winick wrote:

I regularly have to contend with 100-slide PowerPoint slides and what I do is to turn off the spell-check, convert the PPT to a PDF and then copy it in one fell swoop into Word, where I do a spell check.

Thanks, Ian! Yes, that does make perfect sense; just one thing though --- surely it isn't then possible to convert your DOC back into a PPT just with the wave of a magic baguette ?!

xxxIanW
German to English
+ ...
Clarification Jul 14, 2006

Hi Tony,

Just in case I didn't make myself clear (probably did and you're just taking the "pisse"), but you just use Word to find the spelling errors and then you make the necessary changes in the PPT.

All the best

Ian

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Clear now Jul 14, 2006

Thanks Ian!

Well, yes, you did make yourself clear — I guess I was just being very optimistic in hoping that there might be a quick-fix solution...!

Always the optimist, that's me!

Victor Potapov
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:59
English to Russian
+ ...
1) Editing master slide text; 2) changing language globally across PowerPoint presentation Jul 14, 2006

1) Agree with Ralf Lemster - this is the right way to do it.

Here's the fast (and, of course, right) way to do it:

You must press and hold Shift key and, while holding Shift, click with your cursor on the "Normal Mode" icon (lower left part of the screen - you see a row of three icons, from left to right - "normal mode" (I have Russian-interface Powerpoint so I cannot tell you what's the right name used by Microsoft for that icon in the English-language interface) is the leftmost, followed by "Slide Sorter" and "Slide Show" icons).

When you hold Shift and click (left-click, to be precise) on the "Normal Mode" button - you will get into Master slide editing mode.

To leave it, just left-click "Normal Mode" button (without holding Shift this time).

Use it all the time to edit stuff people put into master slides on their presentations.

2. Guess you'll have to do "select all"-"change language" sequence for every one of the slides.

Again, maybe others will be able to offer an ingenious solution - quite possible.

I think you can do a "select all" in the Slide Sorter mode - and if you change language then.... Never tried this one, though.

Good luck!

Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
There IS a quick fix Jul 14, 2006

Tony -Dusty- wrote:

Well, yes, you did make yourself clear — I guess I was just being very optimistic in hoping that there might be a quick-fix solution...!

Always the optimist, that's me!

I have a PowerPoint add-in that will switch the language to everything that is in text to US or UK English. This includes notes pages etc. Written by me and free for the asking.

It could easily be expanded for other languages.

I can be e-mailed from my profile page.

Terry

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
I presented the spellcheck language solution on this forum some time ago Jul 14, 2006

http://www.proz.com/post/245440#245440

Antonin

xxxIanW
German to English
+ ...
@ Terry Jul 14, 2006

Terry Richards wrote:
I have a PowerPoint add-in that will switch the language to everything that is in text to US or UK English. This includes notes pages etc. Written by me and free for the asking.

It could easily be expanded for other languages.

I can be e-mailed from my profile page.

Terry

Good for you, Terry - so why can't Microsoft include a similar function?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PowerPoint -- urgent help required!

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs