Mobile menu

How can I do my review work on pdf file?
Thread poster: keshab

keshab  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:56
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Jul 21, 2006

Dear ProZians,

I am facing a unique problem. An agency ask me to review a translation work and sent me the original file in pdf format. Now how I can do the necessary changes and put my comments on pdf file? Transform into word by OCR programme is not possible because the file is in Bengali and OCR programme is not developed in this language. The only way I can scan the file into word doc, then print it, after doing work scan again and send the file! is there any other shortcut way? And it is not possible also as the end product also has to be sent in pdf format. How can I solve this problem?
Please advise.

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:26
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You´ll have to provide your comments in Acrobat Jul 21, 2006

Using Adobe Acrobat you can comment the file, however you cannot edit it.
I´m not sure if this is possible with Acrobat Reader, but you can take a look at Adobes homepage
AFAIR the latest Reader has a possibility to place comments in the file.

Other possibility is to ask the customer to provide you with editable file.

Tony M  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Acrobat (full version) Jul 21, 2006

The FULL version of Acrobat (i.e. NOT just the free Reader) allows you to both add comments (that used not to be a feature of Reader-only, but according to Jerzy, perhaps it now is?) AND to make minor text edits ("Touch-up text" tool)— it's a bit fiddly and time consuming to do, but if there aren't too many corrections, it would be worth it.

I can't vouch for the fact that this will work with a Bengali character set, though!

And I should add the rider that this will, of course, ONLY work with a PDF file IF that has been generated from an application like Word etc. AND the original security settings left it unlocked for modification.

If, however, the PDF is some kind of scanned document, then it will NOT be editable, and all you can do is add comments, I'm afraid.

Aleksandr Okunev
Local time: 13:26
English to Russian
+1 Jul 22, 2006

Tony -Dusty- wrote: The FULL version of Acrobat

I usually draw rectangles and add popup notes.
But this is usually done on a near-final versiona of,
say, DVD manual, just before going to print, with
1 short note every 3-5 pages.

Tony M  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Ideal for minor corrections! Jul 22, 2006

Yes, Aleksandr, I do exactly the same with last-minute pre-press proofing for one of my clients, and as you say, if the corrections aren't too numerous or involved, then this method is fine.

For more extensive corrections / re-writing, as in copy-editing, or translation correction, it can get laborious!

[Edited at 2006-07-22 14:12]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I do my review work on pdf file?

Advanced search

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs