Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 03:23
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Aug 3, 2006

I have a file (or actually files upon files), where I can indicate what needs - and what does NOT need - to be spellchecked.

Is there some way to tell Word spellchecker to behave this way?

I have no fear of VBA, if that's the way to go. A loop over ranges for instance, and than a call to spellcheck the selection.

TiA

vito

PS: halfway there (from MSDN)

Sub example()
' This example determines whether spelling i
... See more
I have a file (or actually files upon files), where I can indicate what needs - and what does NOT need - to be spellchecked.

Is there some way to tell Word spellchecker to behave this way?

I have no fear of VBA, if that's the way to go. A loop over ranges for instance, and than a call to spellcheck the selection.

TiA

vito

PS: halfway there (from MSDN)

Sub example()
' This example determines whether spelling in section one of the active document has been checked. If spelling hasn't been checked, the example starts a spelling check.

Set MyRange = ActiveDocument.Sections(1).Range
isChecked = MyRange.SpellingChecked
If isChecked = False Then
MyRange.CheckSpelling
Else
MsgBox "The range has already been spell checked."
End If
End Sub

[Edited at 2006-08-03 06:54]
Collapse

Trevor Butcher
Trevor Butcher
English
Highlighting Aug 3, 2006

Hi Vito,

Do you mean checking parts of a text that meet some criteria, or parts of the text that you could just highlight? I assume that you want to do things like check the sections formatted as one language and not that set to another - or do you mean something else?

I need to learn more about how the spellchecker works, because I would like to know how to deal with headers and comment boxes.

Trevor

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
It's a long story... Aug 3, 2006

In my case I have a bilingual text in a GNU gettext format. I set the interesting text to - say - Translatable, shown bold below - and the rest to something else:

#: 02110000.xhp#par_id3150752.10.help.text
msgid "\\<ahelp hid=\\\"HID_SC_NAVIPI_DATA\\\"\\>Specifies the current data range denoted by the position of the cell cursor.\\</ahelp\\>"
msgstr "\\<ahelp hid=\\\"HID_SC_NAVIPI_DATA\\\"\\>Določa trenuten obseg podatkov, ki ga označuje položaj k
... See more
In my case I have a bilingual text in a GNU gettext format. I set the interesting text to - say - Translatable, shown bold below - and the rest to something else:

msgid "\\<ahelp hid=\\\"HID_SC_NAVIPI_DATA\\\"\\>Specifies the current data range denoted by the position of the cell cursor.\\</ahelp\\>"
msgstr "\\<ahelp hid=\\\"HID_SC_NAVIPI_DATA\\\"\\>Določa trenuten obseg podatkov, ki ga označuje položaj kurzorja v celici.\\</ahelp\\>"

and I would like the spellchecker just get the bolded text and leave the rest.

In other words no, the quesion is not text boxes, headers, footers, fields ... But I know they're a problem. The F7 spellchecker in Word transverses the active document, and this does not include text boxes. The same - of course - trados in word. I have yet to check if TagEditor - maybe - ses more.

can I help some other way?

regards

Vito

[Edited at 2006-08-03 12:24]
Collapse

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:23
English to Spanish
Use a tool that supports PO Aug 3, 2006

Vito Smolej wrote:

msgid "\\Specifies the current data range denoted by the position of the cell cursor.\\"
msgstr "\\Določa trenuten obseg podatkov, ki ga označuje položaj kurzorja v celici.\\"

and I would like the spellchecker just get the bolded text and leave the rest.

Hi Vito,

Use a tool that directly supports GNU gettext and you will have the interesting part isolated from the rest. The spell checker will only work on the target text.

Best regards,
Rodolfo

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
why not just hide it Aug 3, 2006

Why don't you just (temporarily) hide all that stuff you don't need?

You wouldn't even need a macro for this:

Just search for ? (with wildcards on!), formatted as Not Bold, and replace with ^&, formatted as Hidden.

There, problem solved. (edit: solved because the Word spellchecker only treats text that is currently visible)

HTH,
Benjamin

P.S.: Yes, TagEditor sees text in text boxes, even in those that are grouped with other o
... See more
Why don't you just (temporarily) hide all that stuff you don't need?

You wouldn't even need a macro for this:

Just search for ? (with wildcards on!), formatted as Not Bold, and replace with ^&, formatted as Hidden.

There, problem solved. (edit: solved because the Word spellchecker only treats text that is currently visible)

HTH,
Benjamin

P.S.: Yes, TagEditor sees text in text boxes, even in those that are grouped with other objects, afaik.

[Edited at 2006-08-03 13:11]
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
That's what I've been doing ... Aug 3, 2006

the last two hours (gg). The problem is, if I hide too much, the semantics gets lost etc...

I'm using TortoiseTagger for it and I can just suggest it to anybody fighting this kind of wars. Here's the source for what Im doing

%%% Taglist for creation of word source of tgarget segments
%%% for spellcheck in word
%%% smo 3.8.06 www.smolej.de/Vito
%%% ~~~~~~~~~~~~
... See more
the last two hours (gg). The problem is, if I hide too much, the semantics gets lost etc...

I'm using TortoiseTagger for it and I can just suggest it to anybody fighting this kind of wars. Here's the source for what Im doing

%%% Taglist for creation of word source of tgarget segments
%%% for spellcheck in word
%%% smo 3.8.06 www.smolej.de/Vito
%%% ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~DocExt
~~~Demo
~~~WC-ON
~~~FindAsIs
~~~WriteTrbl
msgstr "([!^13]@)^13
~~~WC-OFF
~~~FindAsIs
~~~WriteExternal
msgstr "
"^13
~~~WC-ON
~~~FindTrbl
~~~WriteExternal
\\\\\<emph\\\\\>
\\\\\</emph\\\\\>
\\\\\<image[!\>]@\>
\\\\\</image\\\\\>
\\\\\<alt id[!\>]@\>
\\\\\</alt\\\\\>
\\\\\<link href=\\\\\\"[!"]@"
\\\\\</link\\\\\>
\\\\\<ahelp [!\>]@\>
\\\\\</ahelp\\\\\>
\\\\\<variable [!>]@\>
\\\\\</variable\\\\\>
\\\\\<bookmark_value[!>]@\>
\\\\\</bookmark_value\\\\\>
~~~WC-OFF
~~~FindAsIs
~~~WriteTrbl
^13
;
<
>
~~~WC-ON
~~~FindExternal
~~~WriteHidden

%%% The End
%%% ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's a mouthful ...

[Edited at 2006-08-03 16:04]
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
What I have available, is PoEdit Aug 3, 2006

Rodolfo Raya wrote:
Use a tool that directly supports GNU gettext

and Im missing spellchecking, concordance search, decent translation memory, the works. Possibly I am just corrupted by TRADOS and of course Office.

If you have a suggestion for a tool , very welcome.

regards

vito

Gary Daine (X)
Gary Daine (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Find/Replace Aug 3, 2006

I may be missing something, but if the text you wish to check is readily identifiable by Word (i.e. a style, a text attribute such as bold, etc), just use Find/Replace as follows:

For example, if the required text is in bold:

First, set ALL the text to 'No check'

Then:

Find: Bold
Replace by: Bold, Check spelling

(Format-Languages, uncheck the 'Don't check spelling' checkbox)

I do this every day or rather, I have
... See more
I may be missing something, but if the text you wish to check is readily identifiable by Word (i.e. a style, a text attribute such as bold, etc), just use Find/Replace as follows:

For example, if the required text is in bold:

First, set ALL the text to 'No check'

Then:

Find: Bold
Replace by: Bold, Check spelling

(Format-Languages, uncheck the 'Don't check spelling' checkbox)

I do this every day or rather, I have a macro to do it - in my case, to check only green coloured, i.e. Trados-translated, text.
Collapse

Rodolfo Raya
English to Spanish
Select from the list Aug 3, 2006

Vito Smolej wrote:

and Im missing spellchecking, concordance search, decent translation memory, the works. Possibly I am just corrupted by TRADOS and of course Office.

If you have a suggestion for a tool , very welcome.

At Wikipedia you can find a list of CAT tools and the file formats they support:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer-assisted_translation

There are several tools that support PO. At least 3 of them support spell checking and two can exchange TM files with Trados.

Regards,
Rodolfo

[Edited at 2006-08-03 16:48]

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
You are dead on... Aug 3, 2006

I have a macro to do it - in my case, to check only green coloured, i.e. Trados-translated, text.

TortoiseTagger IS a macro-based handler which you feed with the code I indicated. So instead of fixing a long(er) VBA macro, I fix the instructions for the handler.

see for yourself

http://www.accurussian.net/tagger.htm

by Alex Okunev

Vito

PS: Alex is a member here, but I simply cant find him. Never mind...

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
from the list in wikipedia Aug 3, 2006

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer-assisted_translation
There are several tools that support PO. At least 3 of them support spell checking and two can exchange TM files with Trados.

I have experience with more than 3 - I did my due dilligence. I ended doing my own filter to and from TMX format. The problem is the meta tags in PO than just soil the Translation memory. All those tools just pass the buck on...

And of course, if you dont (know how to) isolate the Kuneiform-y tags you may (for instance) end up witht four backslashes instead of five and you're in trouble. I have a gut feeling the TagEditor and the INIs in there would do the trick. But I have yet to climb that mountain...

Given the fact the issue is localizing Open Office help, this should be of a more general interest. And, practically speaking, my hope is maybe I am not the first one here to get my feet wet...

regards

smo

[Edited at 2006-08-03 16:53]

Rodolfo Raya
English to Spanish
Tool selection Aug 3, 2006

Vito Smolej wrote:

I have experience with more than 3 - I did my due dilligence. I ended doing my own filter to and from TMX format. The problem is the meta tags in PO than just soil the Translation memory. All those tools just pass the buck on...

I have experience translating Fedora Core packages to Spanish using Heartsome's XLIFFF Editor. It handles PO internal details without problems. Meta tags are prperly handled and stored in the TM.

Given the fact the issue is localizing Open Office help, this should be of a more general interest. And, practically speaking, my hope is maybe I am not the first one here to get my feet wet...

OpenOffice is usually localised using OpenLanguage Tools (OLT), which is now open source.

OLT includes spell checkers, but the selection of languages is limited.

If you opt for Heartsome's XLIFF Editor, you can use OpenOffice dictionaries for checking your translation. It also has concordance searches and can export your TM in a format that Trados can import.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
I'll have a second & good Look at XLIFF editor & OLT Aug 3, 2006

Rodolfo Raya wrote:I have experience translating Fedora Core packages to Spanish using Heartsome's XLIFFF Editor. ...
OLT includes spell checkers, but the selection of languages is limited.

Feels good to have so much experience at hand. Will probably pump you for more down the road.

Muy obligado (localized wrong I assume, but still heart felt)

Vito

[Edited at 2006-08-03 19:50]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Limiting spellchecks to a given format

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »