Italian Spell checking in Power Point
Thread poster: Giuliana Criscuolo-Bruce

Giuliana Criscuolo-Bruce
Local time: 05:26
English to Italian
+ ...
Aug 16, 2006

Dear colleagues,
I have Italian spellchecker files installed on my computer (Win XP, with English Microsoft Office and settings), but I find that they work only in WORD, and not in Power Point and Excel. I have tried in vain to find a setting to change, so that the Italian spell checking files are automatically recognized (as the English, French and Spanish that come with Office), and I know that there MUST be a way...
Can anybody shed some light over this matter?
Many thanks in advance

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalie  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:26
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

FYI Aug 16, 2006

Dear Giuliana,

I have moved the thread to Office Applications forum.

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:26
Italian to English
Start by hitting F7... Aug 16, 2006

... in the Office application of your choice to fire up the spell checker and see what you can and can't do.

In my Italian-language Office, Word, Access and Excel give me the option of changing the language in the spell check dialogue box. In PowerPoint, I have to select the document, or a portion of it, and change the language from the Strumenti (Tools) menu.

This is what the PowerPoint Help file says:

Effettuare il controllo ortografico di un testo in un'altra lingua.

Selezionare il testo che si desidera controllare.
Scegliere Lingua dal menu Strumenti.
Dalla casella Lingua selezionare la lingua in cui il testo è scritto, quindi scegliere OK.
Ripetere i passaggi da 1 a 3 per evidenziare il testo in altre lingue che si desidera controllare.
Fare clic sul pulsante Controllo ortografia sulla barra degli strumenti Standard.

In fact, what you can do depends on the application. AFAICS, only Word will recognise different languages automatically:

In Word e PowerPoint è possibile impostare la lingua del testo in modo da utilizzare gli strumenti di correzione adeguati e aggiungere termini specifici di una determinata lingua in un dizionario personalizzato.

In Word è possibile personalizzare le modalità con cui l'applicazione gestisce il testo nelle diverse lingue. Ad esempio, è possibile attivare o disattivare il rilevamento automatico della lingua, ordinare gli elenchi e le tabelle in base alle regole della lingua desiderata e creare il sunto automatico dei documenti in tale lingua.

But perhaps someone else can come up with other suggestions.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Italian Spell checking in Power Point

Advanced search

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs