Thread poster: Barbara Wiegel

Barbara Wiegel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:03
English to German
+ ...
Aug 21, 2006

Hi everybody,

I was wondering if anybody has experienced anything similar.
For a couple of days my Word and Excel applications (MS Office Professional 2003) have become really slow when loading. I am not aware that I changed any settings or changed something - it just happened. Until last night, they took approx. 1 min to load any file (no matter if it was large or small) and after fiddling around with the normal.dot template last night (I deleted the old one and created a new one), the loading speed was back to normal. However, this morning after restarting the PC the loading took again longer than usual. It is now a little bit quicker but still not as quick as it used to be. It used to be there in a snap and now it takes about 10-20 seconds to load.
I have tried deinstalling the Office package and reinstalling it - to no avail. I've always downloaded all the updates as suggested by MS and my antivirus program is up-to-date as well. The latest antivirus scan (last night) didn't find any viruses, spyware or malware, either.
I'm baffled about this occurence and was wondering if anybody has experienced something similar and, if so, how they managed to fix it.
Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks a million in advance and best regards,
Barbara

Direct link Reply with quote

Edward Vreeburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Slow Word Aug 21, 2006

Hi Barbara,

This sounds like an (automatic) update of an antivirus / spam/ (firewall?) has changed some settings and is now checking files each time they are opened (instead of once when they are loaded onto your computer.

Could this be the case?

Ed

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Are you incidentally using Norton (Symantec) software? Aug 21, 2006

For a long time I have been using Norton Internet Security.
First it was ok, then with the next version the PC get really slow, then the speed improved slightly with the next version of NIS. Nevertheless, after then one or two more years of NIS I resigned, as this software makes a fast PC to a snail.
So I switched first to a combination of antivirus from Avira (http://www.avira.com/), Pro solution, and firewall from Sygate (http://www.sygate.de/), also as Pro edition. However, Symantec has acquired Sygate last year...
Now I´m using the solution from F-Secure (www.f-secure.com).
In my experience firewall and antivirus solutions may slow down Office very badly.

Regards
Jerzy

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, this might very well be Aug 21, 2006

Ed Vreeburg wrote:

Hi Barbara,

This sounds like an (automatic) update of an antivirus / spam/ (firewall?) has changed some settings and is now checking files each time they are opened (instead of once when they are loaded onto your computer.

Could this be the case?

Ed

Yes, the part where it says "checking for viruses" (after the Word logo disappears) is in fact the part that takes the longest.
Do you know, by any chance, if those settings can be changed back?

As Jerzy pointed out (yes - I do use Norton Antivirus and Internet Security), apparently Norton slows the PC down. But I have been using Norton for years and this is the first time Word and Excel are affected in such an obvious way.
I might be checking out those other Antivirus options, though...

Thanks and best regards,
Barbara

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the info on antivirus/internet security products Aug 21, 2006

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

For a long time I have been using Norton Internet Security.
First it was ok, then with the next version the PC get really slow, then the speed improved slightly with the next version of NIS. Nevertheless, after then one or two more years of NIS I resigned, as this software makes a fast PC to a snail.
So I switched first to a combination of antivirus from Avira (http://www.avira.com/), Pro solution, and firewall from Sygate (http://www.sygate.de/), also as Pro edition. However, Symantec has acquired Sygate last year...
Now I´m using the solution from F-Secure (www.f-secure.com).
In my experience firewall and antivirus solutions may slow down Office very badly.

Regards
Jerzy

Hi Jerzy,

I checked out the F-Secure website and it looks like a good alternative to Norton/Symantec. I've read (on and off) lots of "bad stuff" about Norton Antivirus but, so far, I've always been satisfied with it and never had a bad experience. But if it's really the reason why my Word files open so slowly and take ages to load, I'm ready for an alternative...
Are you fully content with F-Secure? Is it also a "slower-downer" or is there no difference in speed to be noticed?

Cheers,
Barbara

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Exactly the same experience as mine Aug 21, 2006

After the first installation of NIS everything was working smoothly, until some day the PC started to be slower and slower. Then come the upgrade and the situation was better, but get worser then.
In the end I decided against NIS and I do not regret this.
I have no clue why this happens, and I really do not know how to get rid of this. I did not find any solution for this within the Symantec knowledge base.

My solution was to drop the usage of NIS and take another software.

Regards
Jerzy

BTW
To get completly rid of NIS you will probably need to reinstall the whole system - or at least to deeply modify the registry. Only deinstalling will not be enough.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 04:03
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
You might use a registry cleaner Aug 21, 2006

This spring I deinstalled NIS and used jv16 power tools for a registry cleaning. Then I switched to F-Secure.
But my internet traffic is not optimal. Office application are ok, but fetching emails and reloading pages is slower than it should be.
Regards
Heinrich

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
CC Cleaner Aug 21, 2006

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

This spring I deinstalled NIS and used jv16 power tools for a registry cleaning. Then I switched to F-Secure.
But my internet traffic is not optimal. Office application are ok, but fetching emails and reloading pages is slower than it should be.
Regards
Heinrich

Hi Heinrich,

I use CC Cleaner regularly and once in a while I clean the registry with this application as well. Do you think that will be sufficient after deinstalling NIS?

I guess what I'll try is to deinstall NIS and test F-Secure (they do offer a test version) and then I'll see how everything progresses. Should I - for some reason - not be satisfied with F-Secure I can always reinstall NIS to be protected.
Is it safe to use Symantec's deinstallation tool that's offered on their website?

Thanks for your comment on the behavior of your browser and e-mail downloading, though - it's something to keep an eye on. BTW, which browser do you use?

Best,
Barbara

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
F-Secure makes it job good Aug 21, 2006

I´ve read some tests about security software, where NIS was pointed out as a very good solution, but highly memory consuming. Recently I read somwhere (when I remember, I´ll post here) a test again, and F-Secure belonged to the best.

You can check with this website www.edv-buchversand.de
They have good deals on F-Secure.

Regards
Jerzy

Piotr Sawiec  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
NIS Aug 21, 2006

I as well gave up on my Norton Internet Security, this time when my subscription ended. I uninstalled it, but still when Word opens a new document it says about scanning for viruses, although when you do it before installing NIS, there are no such comments, so NIS will stay forever in my computer

Now I use Avast + ZoneAlarm, both freeware, and the computer is definitely faster. BTW, what is memory consumption with F-secure ? With Avast and ZoneAlarm there are many processes running, still about 40-50 MB, about the same as with Norton, but the computer is much faster.

To be honest, Symantec software has great value and is very effective, it just became popular to criticise it, but it is still the leader, and it is not because of its faults.

Piotr

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just to let you know... Aug 21, 2006

... that everything is back to normal after I deinstalled NIS completely from my laptop (using their deinstallation tool). I removed the Symantec products from my computer and checked the loading speed of Word and Excel which was perfectly fine and as it should be.

I downloaded the 30 day trial version of F-Secure Internet Security and everything keeps functioning as smoothly as it's supposed to do.
The updates for the trial version took a little long to download (because the version is from end of 2005) but other than that it makes a perfectly safe impression. I'll go for the trial month and then, most probably, will purchase the full version.

Thanks to all of you for your advice and suggestions - I was sceptical at first but am convinced now that apparently it really was the Norton antivirus software after all that slowed me down.

Best from Berlin,
Barbara

[Edited at 2006-08-21 20:08]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MS Word/Excel 2003 loading slowly

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs