Thread poster: Silvy Codde (X)
Silvy Codde (X)
Silvy Codde (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:27
English to Flemish
+ ...
Aug 26, 2006

Hello everybody,

I have a Word document to translate: table with source text in first column and target text in second column.
Text to be translated are software strings, all in this format:
"bla bla bla"
Now I would like to to able to skip the quotation marks (there are about 10000 lines, all starting and ending with "). Is it possible to do something with the search and replace function in Word to put these quotation marks at the beginning and at the end of every
... See more
Hello everybody,

I have a Word document to translate: table with source text in first column and target text in second column.
Text to be translated are software strings, all in this format:
"bla bla bla"
Now I would like to to able to skip the quotation marks (there are about 10000 lines, all starting and ending with "). Is it possible to do something with the search and replace function in Word to put these quotation marks at the beginning and at the end of every cell? Or otherwise in Excel maybe? (then I would export)

Many thanks in advance for your reply !
Silvy
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:27
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Search for " and replace with " formatted with TW4WinExternal Aug 26, 2006

This is very easy - just open the S&R function in Word, click on advanced.
In Search for put simply the ". In Replace with put " and additionaly click on Format and select Style, then select TW4WinExternal.
If you do not have the style, first press ALT+F8, than put sAddTagStyles in the field and let it run.
Than you will have the necessary style in your document.
You can also select the whole source column and assign the same style to it. In this way Trados will skip it t
... See more
This is very easy - just open the S&R function in Word, click on advanced.
In Search for put simply the ". In Replace with put " and additionaly click on Format and select Style, then select TW4WinExternal.
If you do not have the style, first press ALT+F8, than put sAddTagStyles in the field and let it run.
Than you will have the necessary style in your document.
You can also select the whole source column and assign the same style to it. In this way Trados will skip it too.

HTH
Jerzy
Collapse

mrr2ro
mrr2ro
United States
Local time: 01:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
Excell Aug 26, 2006

The search and replace function will work with this, but it could have potential mishaps _Ie: What is the source code has a print or other statement where the quotes are used inside the string.

Since it is software source code, the best thing to do in my opinion is to transfer the table to an excel document, 3 columns, and then make sure one column is the open quote, the next column is the text and the next Colum is the closing quote.

In that way, you are sure that each
... See more
The search and replace function will work with this, but it could have potential mishaps _Ie: What is the source code has a print or other statement where the quotes are used inside the string.

Since it is software source code, the best thing to do in my opinion is to transfer the table to an excel document, 3 columns, and then make sure one column is the open quote, the next column is the text and the next Colum is the closing quote.

In that way, you are sure that each element is where it belongs very simply by scanning the content of the columns, then you can resave the excel document as a text document.

Arturo Pinzon – SpanishTech – Market tested Spanish Translations
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Search and replace in Word

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »