Thread poster: Languageman
Languageman
Languageman  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:30
German to English
+ ...
Sep 15, 2006

Just found a handy little feature in Word that I thought I'd share. I used Trados, but think this would work just as well with any other tool that creates a segmented Word document using hidden text.

The problem:
Having created a translation of a document using "Translate" in Trados Workbench from a TM, I needed a way of quickly identifying any parts of the document that had not been translated (due to incorrect segmentation, new text, etc.). As this was a huge document (25000
... See more
Just found a handy little feature in Word that I thought I'd share. I used Trados, but think this would work just as well with any other tool that creates a segmented Word document using hidden text.

The problem:
Having created a translation of a document using "Translate" in Trados Workbench from a TM, I needed a way of quickly identifying any parts of the document that had not been translated (due to incorrect segmentation, new text, etc.). As this was a huge document (25000 words) with only a few tweaks required, manually scanning the whole document would have been very time consuming and error prone.

The solution:
1. Open the document in Word and hide the hidden text if needed (deselect: Tools -> Options... View tab -> Hidden Text)
2. Open the search dialogue (Edit -> Find...)
3. In the "Format" drop down menu select "Language ..." and then choose the language of your source text.
4. In the "Special" drop down menu select "Any letter" or type "^$" (without the quotes, of course).
5. Hit "Find Next".
6. Repeat as required!

Step 5 was the 'eureka' moment, as this means the search skips all the numbers that don't get translated (it's a text with lots of tables containing just numbers). Hope that helps someone, it saved me a bit of brain ache this morning at any rate.

(I am using Word 9, but don't think the later versions are too different in this respect).
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:30
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use the Trados feature Sep 16, 2006

Open the first segment in the document and then press CTRL+ALT+(NUM+) - this will close the current segment and open the next not 100% match...

Works usually very well...
If you do not have this shortcut, create it, using the abilities of Word.
The corresponding macro is called: tw4winSetCloseOpenNextNo100Get.Main

Regards
Jerzy

Languageman
Languageman  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:30
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cheers for the tip Sep 17, 2006

Cheers for the comment. I just found that using the macro you suggested runs a bit slow on my system for use with big documents (Virtual PC on Powerbook G4). The find and replace method seems to be much more efficient on a slow system, maybe it's not such a disadvantage on a faster machine.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:30
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I don´t think a Powerbook is a slow machine Sep 17, 2006

But the Virtual PC is a slow machine, by the nature of this feature. It emulates everything, in case of Apple even the processor - no wonder it is slow.

But OTOH maybe sometime in the future you´ll get a "normal" PC - where this macro works very fast.

Regards
Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tip: Quickly find non-translated segments using Word find

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »