Outlook 2003: no "next unread message"?
Thread poster: Anne Brackenborough (X)
Anne Brackenborough (X)
Anne Brackenborough (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:00
German to English
Sep 21, 2006

I recently changed from Outlook Express to Outlook thinking I would have more features, but have discovered that in Outlook, there seems to be no way to go to the next unread message automatically. Is there any kind of add-in or trick for this? I'd like to keep using Outlook as it's convenient with the calendar and everything in one place.

Carmen Hernaiz
Carmen Hernaiz
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ctrl + . Sep 21, 2006

If you press the key Ctrl and . (period), the next message will appear.
If you want to see the previous message, press Ctrl and , (coma)

Carmen

Anne Brackenborough (X)
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
no luck :-( Sep 21, 2006

Is that with the 2003 version? Nothing happens when I do that.

My problem is that I have a file with a lot of old messages in it, and I like the new messages to get sorted straight into the right files. But then I have to scroll down through all the old messages, painstakingly looking for the latest message (they are sorted according to subject, not date).

So I don't just want to go to the next message, but the next message I haven't read.

Percy Balemans (X)
Percy Balemans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
View - Next - Unread Sep 21, 2006

When you are viewing a message, you can select View - Next - Unread item in the message window, that takes you to the next unread message.

You can use the Tools - Customize option to add a button for this command to you message window toolbar, that will make it easier to browse through your unread messages.

Anne Brackenborough (X)
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Can I do it without opening a message? Sep 21, 2006

Thanks - that's good, but is there anyway I can get the button on the main window, and not only on the window when I have a message open? In Outlook Express you can just jump straight to the next unread message without having to open any.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Outlook 2003: no "next unread message"?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »