https://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/56062-correct_encoding_in_outlook_to_read_chinese_characters.html

Correct encoding in Outlook to read Chinese characters.
Thread poster: beirenbo
beirenbo
beirenbo  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:48
Sep 25, 2006

Can anyone tell me how to change the settings in Outlook so I can read Chinese characters in the subject line? Usually if I receive an e-mail written in Chinese, I can read the actual e-mail fine, but the subject line and sender is usually just a bunch of symbols. Also when I receive kudoz notifications, the term is just a bunch of question marks, so I have to follow the link to kudoz to see the actual term. Anyone who can tell me how to fix this will save me a lot of time. Thanks in advance.... See more
Can anyone tell me how to change the settings in Outlook so I can read Chinese characters in the subject line? Usually if I receive an e-mail written in Chinese, I can read the actual e-mail fine, but the subject line and sender is usually just a bunch of symbols. Also when I receive kudoz notifications, the term is just a bunch of question marks, so I have to follow the link to kudoz to see the actual term. Anyone who can tell me how to fix this will save me a lot of time. Thanks in advance.

By the way, I am using Outlook 2003 Service Pack 2.

[Edited at 2006-09-25 18:08]
Collapse

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:48
Japanese to English
Not on your side Sep 26, 2006

The problem is not on your side. The sender is using a non-Chinese encoding when sending the e-mail. Outlook will auto-correct the body, but the subject is actually hard coded. Go to View->Encoding and you will see what the true encoding is (if you can read it properly). Then, right click the subject and hit "Properties" to see the encoding the sender used to construct the e-mail.

I could be wrong, but this is what happens in Japanese.

[Edited at 2006-09-26 02:29]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Correct encoding in Outlook to read Chinese characters.

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »