https://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/57662-how_to_make_shortcut_keys_in_ms_word.html

How to make shortcut keys in MS Word?
Thread poster: Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 21:22
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Oct 17, 2006

I have Windows XP and Office XP. For typing some of the Hindi characters, I have to press Alt and then put a code number while working in a MS Word file. I understand that we can make shortcut keys. For example, if we press F1, we can get the character which we presently get by pressing Alt and a certain code.

I'd be thankful if you could explain the step by step procedure for doing so. I think we have to go to Insert and then to Symbol. I just could not get success. Please sugget k
... See more
I have Windows XP and Office XP. For typing some of the Hindi characters, I have to press Alt and then put a code number while working in a MS Word file. I understand that we can make shortcut keys. For example, if we press F1, we can get the character which we presently get by pressing Alt and a certain code.

I'd be thankful if you could explain the step by step procedure for doing so. I think we have to go to Insert and then to Symbol. I just could not get success. Please sugget keeping in view that I have Office XP. Thank you.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:52
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Follow these steps Oct 17, 2006

From menu Tools chose Customize (or click on the arrow pointing down at the end of each Tool bar in Word XP/2003 and point to "Add or delete buttons", then the option Customize is shown and you can click on it).

You will see this:

Cklick on "Keyboard".
This opens the next window:
See more
From menu Tools chose Customize (or click on the arrow pointing down at the end of each Tool bar in Word XP/2003 and point to "Add or delete buttons", then the option Customize is shown and you can click on it).

You will see this:

Cklick on "Keyboard".
This opens the next window:

In the left pane "Categories" select the category your element belongs to or select "All categories" for all elements and commands. In the right pane "Commands" select the command you want to create shortcut for.
Then click in the field "Press new shortcut key". Now press the desired shortcut (ie CTRL+ALT+LETTER). You will see what you pressed, as it will be shown in that field. If pressed something in error, press BACKSPACE to delete this. Do not press DEL, as this will be treated as a part of your shortcut. After you pressed the desired shortcut, click on "Assign".
When all shortcuts are programmed close this window.
Do not forget to save your Normal.dot before closing Word (Word saves it either automatically without informing you or will ask you to save - you need to save, as otherwise your new shortcuts are done).

In the same way you can also deassign shortcuts.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 18:52
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Jerzy, how do you do it? Oct 17, 2006

I always wondered how posters get images into the text they write. What's the knack? And how to make multiple citation boxes? When I answer with citation, I only get the whole text of the previous posting. How to get citations from different postings?
Thanks for a hint!
Heinrich

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use HTML (or BB) commands Oct 17, 2006

For HTML commands use sharp brackets < > or use square brackets [ ] for BB code.

For inserting an image the comand is (here with spaces, but you need to remove them):
< img > http://.... < /img >

For quote start you use < quote >
Where you want the quota to end, place < /quote >

Remember, that the quoted text must... See more
For HTML commands use sharp brackets < > or use square brackets [ ] for BB code.

For inserting an image the comand is (here with spaces, but you need to remove them):
< img > http://.... < /img >

For quote start you use < quote >
Where you want the quota to end, place < /quote >

Remember, that the quoted text must be enclosed between quote and /quote.

HTH
Jerzy

PS
A nice tutorial on HTML: http://www.w3schools.com/default.asp or http://www.xmission.com/~comphope/learnhtm.htm
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 18:52
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
OK, I see Oct 17, 2006

I thought there could be some simpler trick, of course if I first upload the image somewhere and then refer to it using html I can insert it. Directly dropping an image into a posting would naturally increase the load on the site.
Nice that some people see so much trouble when helping others out!
Regards
Heinrich

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Other method Oct 17, 2006

There is another way to define shortcuts for letters:

In Word click on Insert and then on Symbol. Click on the letter and then on the Shortcut Key button. Press the desired shortcut keys.

Regards,
Gerard

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all of you. Oct 17, 2006

I am thankful to all of you for your great help as I am now able to do what I needed and wanted to do.

आनंद
आनंद  Identity Verified
English to Hindi
Take care of one thing Oct 17, 2006

During assigning shortcut key, try to avoid those shortcut combinations which are already keyboard command in MS Word. For example, if you define shortcult "ctrl+c", which is already a keyboard command for copying the selected text. in that case your shortcult will overwright to existing copy keyboard command. I suggest you assign shortcult with "ctrl+num 1,2..." which are unassigned combinations. Thanx

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot for your practical advice. Oct 18, 2006

dubsur wrote:

During assigning shortcut key, try to avoid those shortcut combinations which are already keyboard command in MS Word. For example, if you define shortcult "ctrl+c", which is already a keyboard command for copying the selected text. in that case your shortcult will overwright to existing copy keyboard command. I suggest you assign shortcult with "ctrl+num 1,2..." which are unassigned combinations. Thanx

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to make shortcut keys in MS Word?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »